Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-14-2012, 05:10 PM   #31 
TheCheese909

Here are acouple links on Lymph

http://www.squidoo.com/diagnosis-and...a-lymphocystis

http://www.petplace.com/fish/lymphoc...ase/page1.aspx

Keep an eye on him and see to make sure if it is Lymph. If it for sure is then I don't think it's a good idea to put him back in with the other two. There is a chance the other guys might not have any problems with it at all but there's also a chance that they could. :\
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:46 PM   #32 
labloverl

Oops, here's the picture.

Thanks for the links, I will definitely keep an eye on him. I got him about 9 months ago, and the other 2 I've had for 2-3 months. None of them have ever had anything like this, so more than likely it won't be lymph. I remember the first I thought when I saw the lump on Sawyer was that it looked like an abscess... and that's kinda what happened.

So then would the worms be in the tank? Will I just have to treat which ever fish gets them? Or would I have to break the tank down and clean everything?
labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:17 PM   #33 
TheCheese909

Have you done any type of substantial water change since Sawyer has been removed from the tank? If so you should be okay, just keep an eye on everyone to make sure, maybe do acouple more smaller water changes in between the ones you normally do just for right now. If no one else seems to be having any problems then you should be fine..

And that poop looks okay, i get some like that in my tanks as well.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:34 PM   #34 
labloverl

Sawyer was originally removed on the 7th, and I did a 50% change on the 10th. I think the week before that, I did do a few small water changes because the other 2 males had gotten in a fight and I wanted to keep the water a bit cleaner. So who knows...
Old 09-14-2012, 09:44 PM   #35 
Sakura8

Wow. It definitely did start out looking like a classic case of lympho, didn't it? Did you see the things coming off move at all like they were alive? I'm not sure if pieces of a lymph cyst can come off and look like that or not.

To be honest, I've not heard of an external parasite that gets that big and would cause a lump like that. There's a small possibility it's an internal parasite that took advantage of a lympho cyst to burrow through the stomach wall but I'd tend to think if he was carrying worms that big he'd be bloated and miserable.

I'd recommend halting AQ treatment for now and trying him on a medicine with praziquantel. There are a number of good ones out there but they can only be found in aquarium stores. Seachem ParaGuard is a good one or Hikari HealthAid PraziPro. If you can't find either of those, I'd suggest Betta Revive, which fortunately CAN be found at most Petco stores.

Let me know if you need help with dosing and I'll see if I can help with that.

In the meanwhile, if he'll eat, keep right on feeding him. If you can, try soaking his food in garlic juice as well as there are some theories that garlic is an antiparasitic.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:12 PM   #36 
labloverl

Well, when it was the white lump, it was in a place that I couldn't confirm that it had the cauliflower texture-look to it. At times it did look fuzzy/flakey. So far he justs seems to have had only 2 come out. I never saw them moveNow there's just the wound/hole where it happened. Before it was the white lump, he was mildly bloated for 2-3 days, and did seem a bit off. He wanted to sit at the bottom of the tank alone. there's a video in this thread. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=113608 Now, he's completely back to normal with his attitude, comes right to the glass, and jumps up for his food.

As for medicines, I do not have a petsmart or petco nearby, so only walmart and LFS that carries off brands. I can look though.

Last edited by labloverl; 09-14-2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:38 PM   #37 
TheCheese909

Does PetCo still sell Betta Revive? All 4 of my local PetCo's have discontinued selling it since about December last year :\
Old 09-14-2012, 10:48 PM   #38 
labloverl

Ok, now Seeley(whose poop is pictured above) has a white/clear, thin, stringy poop hanging from him. It also looks like it has tiny brown spots in it.

Sawyer's wound (just had a good look at him) is starting to get that fuzzy flakey look again. It almost looks like when you pop a pimple and all of the white stuff doesn't come out.

Last edited by labloverl; 09-14-2012 at 10:52 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:55 PM   #39 
Sakura8

Sometimes with open wounds, they develop a true fungus called saprolegnia. If you can't find any of the other meds I mentioned at one of your LFS, I'd be happy to snap up a bottle of Betta Revive or ParaGuard and ship it to you, lab.

Starting to think we must be dealing with something internal. If Seeley is still pooing what looks to be parasitic poo, you can go ahead and get him into one of the meds I mentioned as well. Just let me know if you need something shipped to you, I'd be happy to help.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:50 PM   #40 
labloverl

The only parasite med I have found so far is Jungle internal parasite guard. There's more in this thread. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=114356 I'm so sorry that I've scattered this everywhere, but I guess I'm hoping someone has seen something similar. There's also an updated video on a third worm.

He's currently in epsom salt since I wasn't sure what to do with the medicine. Good news is that Sawyer feels great! He even flared at a mirror which is something he rarely does. He normally only flares at the other fish. I bought new food as well(omega betta fish pellets) because I've had the other for a several years and it was a generic brand.(fish ingredient was a "meal")