Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-10-2012, 07:19 PM   #1 
sandrac8388

Trying to make him feel better.

This is my betta, Mufasa. We have had him for a few months. Someone on here has told me to get him a heater and larger tank which I will do tonight. This awesome person who has helped so much recommended the Elite 25 watt heater. He is currently in a 1.5 gal with 72 degree F temp. After much searching online I have gotten scared he might be sick..I'm traumatized i guess. lol. Besides his clamped tail which i'm hoping his heater will fixed does he look ok? I feed him NLS 3-4 pellets two times a day and a few freeze dried worms 2-3 times a week. 50% water change Wednesdays and full water change sundays..all with a water conditioner called Prime! He eats fine..he has been active since i changed his diet..actually he always wants to eat which is why he follows me around when he sees me...lol My betta is a fatty at heart. I hope his tail will open up with the heater and his brand new 5 gallon tank with new decor. Actually, what should I watch for when buying decor? Plants, housing, etc.? I really want him to be big and beautiful. I do want to buy another betta but not until Mufasa is happy and healthy. Thank you

sandrac8388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:26 PM   #2 
Sapphoira

Look for silk plants, as most plastic ones can tear their fins. Give your fishy a few hidey holes, like a small terra cotta pot, a floating betta log, or some kind of house type thing. Make sure anything you put in the tank passes the panty hose test - ie if you can run a pair of hose over it and they don't rip it's ok for your betta :)
Sapphoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:30 PM   #3 
megaredize

once he is in warmer waters he should unclamp for you and you will see his pretty fins. Like Sapphoira said lots of silk plants or real if you want somewhere to hide is good like a log or pot. Dont forget a thermometer so you can monitor the heat. Would love to see pics once you have everything set up.
megaredize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:48 PM   #4 
sandrac8388

Ok I will look for silk plants.. OMG i'm so excited.. I have a thermometer but will buy more just in case!! EEEEK can't wait. thank you guys so much!
Old 09-10-2012, 08:02 PM   #5 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

I am so happy you found the forum here so many nice people to answer questions and help out. I would have been lost without when I got my first Betta. Mufasa is adorable and I love his colors ! Let us know what size tank you get so we can help you with how many water changes you need to do per week. NLS is one of the best foods so glad you feed him that ! He might enjoy a cave in his tank, mine really enjoys his and make sure if you get one that the hole is big enough so he cant get trapped in there and that goes for any kind of decoration you might get with holes in it.

Happy shopping !!!
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:16 PM   #6 
sandrac8388

I ended up getting a 10 Gal lol...with a heater and more thermometers and silk plants and little caves. Buuuuuut...i found this little guy at the store...almost brought him home...what do you guys think??

Old 09-10-2012, 09:20 PM   #7 
registereduser

I think you need to give him to meeeee!
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:28 PM   #8 
sandrac8388

No way jose!! lol...What is wrong with his head or is that normal? If its normal i'm calling him Zorro!!!!! And I will be getting him tomorrow!!!!
Old 09-10-2012, 11:54 PM   #9 
sandrac8388

I hope you guys see him..he looks so tiny but he is swimming everywhere! He is just looking at everything. His new heater is on the right behind the green tall silk plant and i have it set at 77 degrees F. Oh gosh i'm so happy to see him transform. I'm staying up so late and I made my boyfriend help..lol. Now tomorrow I have to get this beautiful betta and set up a tank for him. I think i will start with a 5 gal for him. Yay for me being a betta lover!!

Old 09-11-2012, 12:31 AM   #10 
Sakura8

Is this the new guy who is swimming or the old guy at the beginning of the thread?

If you do get the new guy, the blue cellophane, you can divide that tank for them. Although, you'd have to rearrange the decor a bit.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote