Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-10-2012, 02:05 AM   #1 
LizzyP

Ace Hardware Ammonia

I'm going back and forth on a fish-less or fish-in cycle. I want to cycle my 5.5 gallon tank in a pretty much painless way and not have to worry about making poor Dumbledore sick or whatever. I have posted a picture of my tank below:

So lets just say I decide to do a fish-less cycle. I tried the fish food method and it made my entire house stink. My parents made me dump it out, and I can't half blame them. That's when I decided I wanted to do a fish-in cycle. But with going to school full time, planning a wedding, and carrying on with my daily chores I don't think I have the time to clean his tank and keep ammonia at bay. I know about Prime and things like that, but I'd much rather not take a chance.

SO NOW TO THE REAL POINT OF THIS POST XD
Ace Hardware sells Janitor Strength Ammonia pretty cheap. I looked it up online:
http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...57&cagpspn=pla
Obviously I wouldn't be buying a 15 pack though.
Only reason I'm posting this is because it's only 10% ammonia hydroxide. Is this enough ammonia? I've heard of people buying their ammonia from Ace but wasn't sure if this was it.

If you/someone you know has used this, how much did they use to get a 2.00-4.0ppm reading?

I really don't know what to do. I basically want to tear down and rebuild this entire tank. I want to take the gravel and fake plants out and use a sand substrate and plant some nice, but easy to maintain plants. I am just so confused, lol.

Thank you all for reading my totally random post. I really appreciate all the input and help. :)
Lizzy
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:24 AM   #2 
RoxieStClaire

Just made the same decision, and bought the same ammonia, and let me tell you: ITS WAY STRONG ENOUGH. I made the mistake at first thinking that a capful would work.

Ended up having to start over after the ammonia spiked off the chart.

The thing is, ppm stands for parts per MILLION. So say you have 999,999 water molecules, and you add just one ammonia water molecule. You would already be at 1.0 ppm. So a little goes a long way.

I ended up putting in maybe 10-15 drops overall in a five gallon tank, and its at 4.0 comfortably.

So I'd go ahead and just buy one of the smallest bottle you find. You wouldn't need more than that... ever again, lol.
RoxieStClaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:26 AM   #3 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Just about 1 drop/ppm/gal
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:33 AM   #4 
LizzyP

Ooh, thanks guys. I think I'm just gonna do it. Hally, expect a message here soon XD.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:07 AM   #5 
Hallyx
Reference Team

But remember: the pure ammonia is just the clean, efficient way of feeding the bacteria. Getting the bacteria in the first place; that's the time-consuming part of cycling.

See what Gale has to say on this thread:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...2/#post1237197
Old 09-10-2012, 01:17 PM   #6 
LizzyP

Oh yeah, I read that. Only thing worries me is my tank is underneath cabinets and will have a hood on it. Should I keep the hood off? Or move the tank? Moving 5.5 gallons of water in a glass tank should be interesting. o.o
Old 09-10-2012, 10:49 PM   #7 
Hallyx
Reference Team

I'd leave the hood off for a few weeks or until the ammonia starts to go down. At least you'll have gotten all the bacteria you can.