Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-11-2012, 02:41 PM   #11 
Alcemistnv

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlight View Post
Just watch and you i am really recommending pellets not flakes. I don't like flakes they also so messy and contaminate the water. And since he got bloated you need to be careful don't overfeed him since some bettas just prone to have this problem.
The more water changes the better :)

Either is good, especially if you have a picky fish xD
As long as neither is filled with fillers, and it should have a high enough protein content :)
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:00 PM   #12 
sunlight

Yes you right, it just i don't like when i watch fish eating it half of the flakes sinking to the bottom of the tank. And if people don't do 100% water changes and it sit on the bottom of the tank, it will discompose in 72 hrs and can give infection. I don't know it just me lol. I am always super careful and always afraid them to get sick :)
Also a lot of people on the forum i read saying that it can cause bloating, which i don't know because i don't feed with flakes. :)
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:49 AM   #13 
sunlight

skepkat if he is back to normal and not bloated you might hold on epsom salt. As for his fins if it has ragged edges,tail get shorter...if his behavior didn't change and he is active and eating like normal betta you can just increase water changes to help ...

If he will be bloated then you can use epsom salt and it will help with fins and bloating

Usually if it only fins issue aquarium salt recommended, but again if it mild extra water changes should help.

It always good to have aquarium salt and epsom salt on hands.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:04 PM   #14 
skepkat

Thumbs up

Thanks everyone!! He is getting much better, but camera shy. Best I could do is a reflection. He does still have slight swelling, but not like Monday.

I'm continuing with daily water changes w/ addition of (very diluted) AQ salt. I bought some New Life pellets (which a lot of people on here say is the best).

CT1 is doing well. He often seems pissed, swimming like mad at the front of his tank. I imagine he's yelling at me to give him food. Always he wants more food. Since you asked. I'm attaching a pic of him as well.
Attached Images

skepkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:47 PM   #15 
sunlight

I am glad he is better.
aquarium salt has antibacterial/fungal affect.
Also if you add aquarium salt never add non therapeutic dose. It doesn't prevent disease or parasites and long term use can cause resistant pathogens/parasites issues and kidney damage...and long term non-therapeutic dosage can limit it ability to work for treatment when needed.
So if you think his behavior improve use at least minimum dose of aq salt 1tsp/gall pre mixed with daily 100% water changes. You can use aq salt only 10 days though. In some cases up to 13 days.

Watch his poo make if it still normal color then he don't have internal parasites.
And if his bloating will not go away then you need really Epsom salt. Epsom salt for buoyancy issues,swim bladder problem,constipation...and will help to clean his digestive system:)

Good luck give us update :)

EDIT: his fins looks pretty good :)
Old 09-12-2012, 04:27 PM   #16 
Sceven

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinPham123 View Post
Hello, I just want to say, don't feed him any more peas. 86 degrees isn't bad at all, ideal is about 84 + anyway. Look for white stringy poo in your tank to confirm that your betta may have internal parasites. DO a 100% water change and acclimate before you put him back in.

Anyone have any advice on the Epsom salt?
I have used ES in a hospital tank (1g no filter heated to 82-85). Get unscented (I know duh but thought I would mention it) and I add about 1-2tsp. You may use ES indefinitely.

I have to remember its AS for outside and ES for inside. The fish that is.

EDIT: 1-2tsp per gallon
Sceven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:30 PM   #17 
sareena79

ok question, Im new to all this so Im wondering what the difference is between the aquarium salt and NON-Iodized SEA salt? can it be used in my betta's tank and if so is it only good for filtered tanks or can it be used in an unfiltered one? will I need to change the water more frequently when the salts in there and what is the actual purpose of the salt b/c I hear people talk about it all the time
sareena79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:30 PM   #18 
Sceven

Quote:
Originally Posted by sareena79 View Post
ok question, Im new to all this so Im wondering what the difference is between the aquarium salt and NON-Iodized SEA salt? can it be used in my betta's tank and if so is it only good for filtered tanks or can it be used in an unfiltered one? will I need to change the water more frequently when the salts in there and what is the actual purpose of the salt b/c I hear people talk about it all the time
AQ Salt is used to treat external issues, like fungus. Epsom Salt (ES) is used for internal parasites and bloating. It won't filter out so you only add more salt if you change the water. But if you are medicating you should be changing the water A LOT.

You can use AQ salt for 10 days only, for ES you can use it indefinitely (so sayith OFL)

I hope this helped, I myself am fairly new to medicating bettas.
Sceven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:22 PM   #19 
sareena79

good to know...thank u. so basicly Id only need to salt if there were an issue??? my biggest question though is: is NON-iodized SEA salt ok to use or does it specifically have to be AQ or ES?
sareena79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:54 AM   #20 
sunlight

Aquarium salt (Sodium chloride) for injuries,wounds,external parasite,fin damage/rot (not plant tolerant)

Epsom salt (Magnesium sulfate) for buoyancy issues,swim bladder problems,constipation(plant tolerant)

Both have a antibacterial/fungal effect

Both can be use in doses of 1tsp/gall up to 3tsp/gall depending on what/why you treating. Need 100% daily water changes.
Aquarium salt use no longer then 10 days and epsom salt can be used indefinitely.
It better pre mix in 1gal jug to make correct daily dosage.
Fish better qt in a small container for treatment and maintain a water temp of 76-78F

Not sure about NON-IODIZED SEE salt though. I know rock salt,kosher salt ok NOT table salt though.
And Epsom salt it completely different from aq or rock salt, so if you need Epsom salt then you need to use EPSOM.
Epsom salt you can find in any pharmacy not at the pet store.
Aquarium salt should be - pet store.