Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-11-2012, 11:51 AM   #1 
Bettanewbie60

Fin rot or "blow out"?

I noticed problems with Beau's fin after moving he and Brady to the divided 5.5g about a week ago..I thought he may have had fin rot or some other infection so I took him out to QT him. Then a few days later I noticed Brady's fins were torn in two places, like all the way to his body! They were both flaring quite a bit in the new tank even though I had tried to block their view of each other as much as possible...Now I have Brady also in a QT tank. I am doing a water change on the 5.5...I don't know what to do now..maybe make another divider for the tank so there are two like in my 10g? I hate to take away that much space, but I don't want them stressing either, and I really need to use this tank. Here's some pics of Brady's tail...it was so pretty before. sigh
Name:  013 (600x450).jpg
Views: 128
Size:  22.6 KB

Name:  014 (600x450).jpg
Views: 127
Size:  23.3 KB

Last edited by Bettanewbie60; 09-11-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:54 AM   #2 
Bettanewbie60

Name:  009 (600x450).jpg
Views: 125
Size:  27.3 KB
Old 09-11-2012, 12:49 PM   #3 
lelei

Are you using some AQ salt, that would help, along with the leaves..and stress coat..they will grow back..give it about a week.
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:57 PM   #4 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelei View Post
Are you using some AQ salt, that would help, along with the leaves..and stress coat..they will grow back..give it about a week.
Thank Lelei...I don't want to treat with AQ unless I know for sure what I am dealing with...right now I'm just doing clean water, and quiet...I just wish I knew what caused it ya know?
Old 09-11-2012, 01:03 PM   #5 
lelei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettanewbie60 View Post
Thank Lelei...I don't want to treat with AQ unless I know for sure what I am dealing with...right now I'm just doing clean water, and quiet...I just wish I knew what caused it ya know?

True, it is odd, did they have any way of reaching each other through the divider you think?..How possible is a "Blow OUt" I have heard of it, but never seen it..
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:16 PM   #6 
LizzyP

Dumbledore did that recently. He's a cronic tail biter and did the exact same thing. Maybe your little guy is stressed in a divided tank.
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:17 PM   #7 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelei View Post
True, it is odd, did they have any way of reaching each other through the divider you think?..How possible is a "Blow OUt" I have heard of it, but never seen it..
It is really odd how fast it happened, that is why I wasn't thinking fin rot. No, they had no way of reaching each other...and I've only heard of "blow out", so I really don't know what to think either.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:21 PM   #8 
MoonShadow

Hmmmm that looks like a rip to me, definitely not finrot. Do you have anything in your tank he could have caught his tail on? Any plastic plants, anything with rough edges? Anything? Think hard, to me it really looks like he caught and ripped it on something! I would up your water temp a little if you can, add aquarium salt to prevent any infection and stress coat (or even better Vita-Chem if you can find it) to help his tail start to grow back!
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:33 PM   #9 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyP View Post
Dumbledore did that recently. He's a cronic tail biter and did the exact same thing. Maybe your little guy is stressed in a divided tank.
Maybe...I think I'm going to add another divider so it's impossible for them to see each other, and then put them both back in there...this stinks lol.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:35 PM   #10 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonShadow View Post
Hmmmm that looks like a rip to me, definitely not finrot. Do you have anything in your tank he could have caught his tail on? Any plastic plants, anything with rough edges? Anything? Think hard, to me it really looks like he caught and ripped it on something! I would up your water temp a little if you can, add aquarium salt to prevent any infection and stress coat (or even better Vita-Chem if you can find it) to help his tail start to grow back!
Yeah, I thought it looked torn too. I'm going to redo the whole 5.5 ..make another divider, so there are two, and double check all the plants and decor. I will up the temp. and put AQ in the replacement water...I'm glad we aren't leaning toward fin rot, but still upsetting.