Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-11-2012, 03:06 PM   #1 
staffylover

Constant flaring

I got a new boy on Saturday and he is constantly flaring, I am sure he can see himself in the glass on the tank.
My tank is very heavily planted and the background is a leafy background and i did not think it was reflective.
He even flares at the food when I put it in.
When i look into the tank from the side I can see the inside of the tank reflected on the bare glass on the sides

Will this stress him out and if so how can i reduce this? I am thinking maybe some matt black paper on the side of the tank
staffylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:10 PM   #2 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by staffylover View Post
I got a new boy on Saturday and he is constantly flaring, I am sure he can see himself in the glass on the tank.
My tank is very heavily planted and the background is a leafy background and i did not think it was reflective.
He even flares at the food when I put it in.
When i look into the tank from the side I can see the inside of the tank reflected on the bare glass on the sides

Will this stress him out and if so how can i reduce this? I am thinking maybe some matt black paper on the side of the tank
The reflections are actually less noticeable from the inside of the tank, through the water. He is seeing some reflections, but he will adapt to them. Anytime you introduce them to a new environment it will take some time to calm down. It sounds like you have a great set up for him, just give him some time, and maybe reduce light in the room..less reflections...and he will be fine.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:41 PM   #3 
Frazzle

From what I hear, as long as they flare, they are healthy
Frazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:21 PM   #4 
Sceven

If your trying to reduce a reflection, lowering the light is a better option than black paper, that will actually turn it more mirror like, unless he is black, then he won't really see himself.
Sceven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:29 PM   #5 
Frazzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sceven View Post
If your trying to reduce a reflection, lowering the light is a better option than black paper, that will actually turn it more mirror like, unless he is black, then he won't really see himself.
thank you...
Frazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:26 AM   #6 
OrangeAugust

My Fishie did the same thing when I put him in his new 5 gallon tank. He's fine until I put on the lights inside the tank in the evenings. Then I think he sees his reflection and he parades around his tank with his fins flared for like 2 hours. Even if I did have a lot of plants around the perimeter, he still goes behind the ones I have so he would see himself anyway. He has a rip in his caudal fin and I think it's from flaring all the time. When I first got him there was a little nick out of his fin there, but now that he's been flaring all the time it's gotten bigger. :o( He's finally started to calm down now when the light is on at night. For the past week or so he doesn't flare constantly at night. Actually last night he was super calm and I almost got worried because he rested on the bottom a few times. But then at one point he started swimming and flaring for just a few minutes so I think he's ok. I think he's finally getting used to the tank and the light. It's taken about six weeks, though. I think your guy will calm down soon.
Fishie flares sometimes when I feed him, too!! Hehe. I'm not worried about that, though, because that's usually just his face and he puffs up really quick and sticks out his beard at the pellet and then eats it. Actually, Shiny does that a lot, too.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:36 PM   #7 
staffylover

Thanks for your replies, the only way to reduce the light would be to cover part of the bulb but I do have a lot of live plants so will have to keep an eye on them if I cover it
staffylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:18 AM   #8 
Enkil

I have a male who flares quite a lot as well. It's just part of his personality. He's fine and has never hurt himself. With HMs, they might tear their tail a little ( a "blow out") if they flare too hard/much. I've had that happen with a combtail and he was fine, healed very well.
Some calm with time. For others, it's part of who they are. Even if I reduce light for my one male, he still just flares a lot. He even flared at one of his plants once. As long as he isn't exhausting himself, I wouldn't really worry about it.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:25 PM   #9 
Mako

I've had this problem when I first got my betta. It was only when I put on the light. I realized that it was his reflection that he was flaring at so I began to keep the lights off. Eventually, I turned them on to see how he reacts after he has adjusted to the tank and he is now calmer than before. I never see him flare at all. I didn't notice him flaring at food.
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote