Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-11-2012, 03:33 PM   #1 
kellyyoungmoney

goldfish help?

i have obtained what i believe is a comet goldfish from school. (a girl in my class wanted to feed fish to the snake but got the wrong kind) so i asked to take one home, but now im faced with a dilemma. i wont have a tank to put him in until tomorrow so he is stuck in the little tupperware container my teacher gave him to me in. and the snake bit him so he has some scales missing and might be bleeding on his stomach. i know goldfish prefer colder temperatures than bettas and lots of oxygen in the water, so how can i achieve this in this tiny container? i know that the usual temp of water left sitting in my house is about 70.
kellyyoungmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:48 PM   #2 
purplemuffin

What kind of snake is it anyway? A garter snake? Not many snakes eat fish. Anyway.

Man I hope he recovers from the bite. Goldfish people will come along soon enough. How bad is he bleeding?
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:50 PM   #3 
Jessie1990

You could buy an air stone, some tubing, and an air pump. He will be fine at room temp. He does need oxygen though
Jessie1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:28 PM   #4 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Good for you for saving him!
Hopefully he will recover, as long as there's no deep damage (can't imagine there is).
A bubbler should do fine.
Comet goldfish are pretty big animals, if you keep in mind that he should reach 12-14" without tail, you can see why you'd need a big tank. 55 gallons is a good starting point for an adult, however, it might be a good idea to start looking for a pond to house him in.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:46 PM   #5 
kellyyoungmoney

yeah its a garter snake, and hes not bleeding bad just a little, and he seems to be acting fine. my mom is getting a 20 gal tank for her classroom at school and i was going to keep him in there until he gets too big for it and then ive got a couple friends with ponds that will probably take him. but i cant get the tank or an air stone/bubbler until tomorrow so do you have any tips on how to keep oxygen in the water?
Old 09-11-2012, 07:43 PM   #6 
Jessie1990

Erm. I used to keep my dad's bait minnows as pets in a bucket when I was little. I had one for a month until my brother dropped it under the porch when I was cleaning his bucket. I did water changes from the pond every day AND had a random pond plant in their. I never knew anything about keeping fish at that point but maybe doing a lot of water changes a day might work.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:06 PM   #7 
kellyyoungmoney

yeah i read something about manually adding oxygen in case like the power goes out or something, so basically i just do multiple water changes and i suck up the water in a turkey baster and then squirt it back out in there. he doesnt seem to like it that much but hopefully it'll get him through the night and school day if i continue doing it.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:10 PM   #8 
Jessie1990

Yea. I really don't know. You might also withhold feeding til you get the tank tomorrow
Old 09-11-2012, 08:14 PM   #9 
kellyyoungmoney

i dropped a granule of some tetra tropical food in there because its the only thing i had that would sink but if i see he hasnt eaten it ill take it out and so another water change.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:21 PM   #10 
Jessie1990

Okay :) good luck! I'm an accidental goldfish mom too :D