betta fish

Old 09-11-2012, 08:24 PM   #11 
Jessie1990

Maybe rescue is a better word than accident ><
Jessie1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:55 PM   #12 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Keeping the water in a cooler place will help as well.
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:44 AM   #13 
Jessie1990

Hows the fishy? Did you get his tank up?
Jessie1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:51 PM   #14 
thekoimaiden

Oh wow! Is there anything people won't try to feed goldfish to? Some people.

Good of you to take him in. If you want a good emergency home for him get a large rubbermaid container. I've seen ones as large as 55 gallons at Walmart. That's going to be much better than putting him in a 20 gal tropical tank. In warmer water goldfish grow faster. He'll produce more ammonia there and need more water changes. I don't think your mother would be willing to do 2-3 water changes on her tank per week.

Since it is the end of summer, you won't be able to plop him in a pond until next spring. You can't take a fish that has been living at room temps and expect it to survive in a pond in the winter. Plan to keep him over the winter.

While he's in that tiny container don't feed him. Any food in means more ammonia. Keep it in a cool, dark place. This will prevent him from darting into the sides and injuring himself more.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:05 PM   #15 
kellyyoungmoney

well hes doing a lot better, ive got him an air stone and he seems to be breathing better. ive upgraded him to a 2 gal jar for the time being, ill continue to upgrade as money becomes available and ive still been doing frequent water changes. my mother's moods are very fickle so no telling when we actually get this tank. but we've got plenty of those 55gal tubs(we have horses so they come in handy) so when he gets too big for anything else we'll have that just in case.
kellyyoungmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:25 AM   #16 
Tikibirds

Quote:
. my mother's moods are very fickle so no telling when we actually get this tank.
sounds like my mother
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:02 PM   #17 
DragonFyre14

I saved a few goldfish too. at the moment they are in a 2 gallon tank because I haven't been able to buy a bigger tank yet, and the only other tank i have is a 10 gallon with my land hermit crab in there, and I really can't justify putting him into a smaller container. I've been doing daily water changes of about 50% and feed them a little bit daily and they have become much more active and don't look as sickly as when I got them.
DragonFyre14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:31 PM   #18 
kellyyoungmoney

okay so im freaking out a little bit. my goldfish (now named Tippy) has developed dark areas on his body. and white spots which i guessed was ick so hes being treated with copper safe. hes still very active and doesnt seem like its bothering him too much, but im still freaking out considering my teacher wants me to take another goldfish.(they keep getting sucked up in her filter and she doesnt want to clean them out of there anymore) hes in a really big round tupperware container thats got about 1-2 gal of water in it that i change 50-75% of everyday. i chose the container because it was super wide and had a lot of horizontal swimming space and i cleaned it thoroughly and hes been doing fine the week hes been in there. ive been feeding him bloodworms every 2 days and he has been eating them. im getting goldfish food hopefully from a friend tomorrow so if he makes it then he'll have that. so if it is a bacterial infection, how do i continue to treat it? with the water changes how do i keep the right amount of medication in there?
Old 09-19-2012, 10:47 PM   #19 
kellyyoungmoney

i just looked up the black spots and saw that they are probably ammonia burns. and it totally makes sense because i forgot to do a water change yesterday. i feel terrible :( but he got a good change today, but i still dont know how to keep the right amount of medicine in there while doing water changes everyday.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:52 PM   #20 
thekoimaiden

Dark areas on the body are most likely ammonia burns. That's the problem with goldfish. They excrete so much ammonia that even daily water changes don't keep it down. They're not like bettas. You might want to step it up to two water changes daily. Are you using Prime as a water conditioner? It will detox ammonia for 24 hours.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote