Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-11-2012, 06:32 PM   #1 
RabidAliver

Fin rot, or tailbiter?

From the time I have gotten my betta, Asura, until now, the poor boy has been getting more bouts of what I BELIEVE is fin rot than should probably be healthy for what could be considered healthy for him, and just today he has another round of it even though his last bout of the fin rot was three days ago. Is it possible he could be tailbiting instead? I wonder this simply because so far it's only been one fin at a time being damaged, rather than multiple at a time. I have no pictures as he doesn't stay still long enough to get a good shot of the fins.

What size is your tank? 3 gallons
What temperature is your tank? about 78 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No, but where I live is warm enough to keep his tank a stable 75-80 degrees daily.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? HBH color enhancing pellets, freeze dried blood worms.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day; once at 6:30 a.m. before I go to school and again at 9:30 p.m.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? about 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Jungle Start zyme.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: Unknown
Nitrite: Unknown
Nitrate: Unknown
pH:Unknown
Hardness: Unknown
Alkalinity: Unknown

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Fins will suddenly become damaged overnight, only to almost completely heal by the next day (I don't understand why)
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? It hasn't.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Just today.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No. He's just gotten over a bout of fin rot three days ago, just got rid of the last of the aq. salt.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Yes.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Under 1 year old.
RabidAliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:41 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Torn or Tail Biting. :( It can't be fin rot if it heals overnight. Just make sure his water is clean so no infection wills start up.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:47 PM   #3 
RabidAliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
Torn or Tail Biting. :( It can't be fin rot if it heals overnight. Just make sure his water is clean so no infection wills start up.
I do my best to make sure his water stays clean. I'm suspecting they may be torn since he just LOVES wedging himself between the wall and filter, and all of his decorations and it seems as if his tail is torn only when I don't keep a very close eye on him. They healed perfectly fine when I put him in his 1 gal hospital tank though.

Is there anything I can do to really help the healing along, or should I just leave it be?

EDIT: Btw your crowntail is so pretty! :D I'm jealous XD

Last edited by RabidAliver; 09-11-2012 at 06:50 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:49 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

Leave it be as he might as well bite during treatment... Clean Water is enough. :)
Old 09-11-2012, 06:54 PM   #5 
RabidAliver

Quote:
Leave it be as he might as well bite during treatment... Clean Water is enough. :)
Alright, thank you :D Tailbiting I know can be helped with distracting, so I've been holding a mirror up to his tank a lot lately to try and help a bit (I've been suspecting he may be tailbiting for a bit, I doubt half of his tail would just go missing overnight like it did last time).

Is there anything other than the mirror I can do to help with the biting if it is that?
Old 09-11-2012, 06:56 PM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

Well, you can put in some more decorations, interact with him more, and just make sure things aren't boring for him. If the missing fins area looks like CT fins or crescent shaped marks, then he's biting. Hopefully not, what tail type is he?
Old 09-11-2012, 07:03 PM   #7 
RabidAliver

Quote:
Well, you can put in some more decorations, interact with him more, and just make sure things aren't boring for him. If the missing fins area looks like CT fins or crescent shaped marks, then he's biting. Hopefully not, what tail type is he?
He's a red veiltail. His tank has as many decorations as I can get into his tank, but yeah. Though the area he happens to be biting now (anal fin) looks EXACTLY like a CT's fins in the places I suspected to be "rotting". It's only one small portion of it, like the very end of it where I suspect he'd only be able to reach. the biting would make sense seeing as the instant his fins start reaching their old length they disappeared overnight. (my profile picture shows a shot of him just after I got him to give an idea of the old length)
Old 09-11-2012, 07:05 PM   #8 
LebronTheBetta

Ouch, heavy fins. :l Heavy Finnage is one of the reasons for them biting them. If it's exactly looking like a CT's fins then he's biting. T-T Hopefully, he'll grow out of the habit.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:11 PM   #9 
RabidAliver

Quote:
Ouch, heavy fins. :l Heavy Finnage is one of the reasons for them biting them. If it's exactly looking like a CT's fins then he's biting. T-T Hopefully, he'll grow out of the habit.
I'd imagine ): Hopefully he will grow out of it though, if not then idk what else to do for the poor boy. Happy to know at least he isn't getting constant fin rot like I thought it was :D I was thinking he had something genetically wrong with him until today
Old 09-11-2012, 07:14 PM   #10 
LebronTheBetta

Yeah, fin rot is annoying. He's a pretty one. ;)