Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-11-2012, 05:48 PM   #1 
LebronTheBetta

Gray Gills, Age Related?

Hello everyone. Lebron seems to have some gray in front of his gills... It's so hard to explain. :\ OK, bare with me... When you face your Betta from the front, (No Side View!) right below his mouth. It's gray. His gills were gray... Is Lebron getting old? :0 He's only been with me for a few months and he was always so active... I'm sorry if this didn't make sense at all. I didn't put this in the Emergency Section as I don't think it's a sickness and there are more serious problems there so... So please answer.

Is Lebron already old, or just normal coloring?
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:57 PM   #2 
homegrown terror

our MG Vlad has thin light lines on the edges of his gill covers. at first i was worried it was a fungal infection, but on closer examination i found that he's been coloring out a lot since we brought him home (he was originally mostly yellow, but in the last week his body has turned mostly blue) and the lines were just part of him that stayed yellow. it might be a natural color change, they happen a lot, particularly with younger fish (you said you've only had him a few months, so he might still be growing into his colors)
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:03 PM   #3 
LebronTheBetta

Oh, really? The front plates aren't fuzzy, just odd coloration. I could even make out veins. :\ I have had him for 6 months and he was already big in the store. He's already 2 inches without fins.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:04 PM   #4 
LaLaLeyla

I think that's common in most bettas. Some of my bettas have that gray color on their gills too.
LaLaLeyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:06 PM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

I hope so. He also has some gray on his side gill plates so I was wondering. I just don't want him old yet.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:56 PM   #6 
homegrown terror

has any of his coloration changed anywhere else? no stress stripes, markings or anything behavior-wise that's out of the ordinary? if not, i wouldn't worry. lots of bettas change colors in most unexpected ways. i've seen before-and-after pictures you wouldn't even believe, like an all-blue betta that suddenly developed a red dorsal and ventrals, or a solid-color betta developing marbling a year into his life.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:04 PM   #7 
LebronTheBetta

Well, for stripes... It's hard to make out. You know when red Bettas have that white scale sheen? Yeah, he has that... Let me see if I can get a picture... All parameters are 0 except for nitrate which is around 20ppm-40ppm. He has slight fin rot for some odd reason and that's about it. :\
Old 09-11-2012, 09:18 PM   #8 
LebronTheBetta

Name:  IMG_0304.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  26.8 KB
^
These are the "stress stripes". It's hard for me to capture his whole body since there's a reflection. -_- Sorry if it's bad quality. :( What do you guys think? It's just that part of the body. :\ No stripes near his head, just there. It's the part at the center.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:40 PM   #9 
homegrown terror

well he looks partially piebald, so he might be developing marbling in other spots as well.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:43 PM   #10 
LebronTheBetta

Yep, his face is white. You kinda see the "stripes" I'm talking about, right? :\ He isn't a marble, I'm sure. He never really changed colors but I think he has grizzle in his line. He has some black scaling so...