Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-09-2012, 05:51 PM   #1 
Leafygreens

Question Right size after feeding?

I'm working on figuring out the right amount to feed Pierre. I feed him twice a day and he seems ravenous every time. He's very active--he's on the move throughout his 10 gallon tank all day and only stops when the lights go out. He swims very well and doesn't show signs of any health problems. I'm aiming for feeding about the size of his eyeball, but usually end up feeding a pinch extra if he still seems hungry (which he does, 8 times out of 10). Either way, it's only what he can eat in 2-3 minutes. On BettaTalk, there's a page with pictures of bettas after eating: http://www.bettatalk.com/food.htm The thing is, the first picture is so dark I can't really tell how big it is. I'm thinking Pierre's either about the same size as the first picture, or the second one, which is "borderline" too rounded. I'm attaching a couple of pictures right after he ate. He looks rounder from some angles compared to others so I picked a couple different photos. Can anyone tell me what they think? Should I cut back on the food, or is this normal?
Attached Images

Leafygreens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:11 PM   #2 
MSG

My bettas will eat 10 pellets in a row if I continue to feed them.
  • Also mine can chew & swallow 1 pellet every 2-3 seconds.
Depending on the activity level of most bettas this is what I usually feed mine.
  • Morning = 1-3 pellets
  • Evening = 2 pellets
Any more than that & you WILL run into health problems sooner than later.

BTATalk is old, not updated. I can't stand sites that use thumbnailed sized photos. You can't make out any of the details on what they're harping about.

I've seen that page several months ago, gone over the info provided and disregarded it as bad information.

• What brand food are you feeding?
The one I prefer to use is UltraColor Community Fish Food. They come in very small pellets.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:11 PM   #3 
vilmarisv

He looks good... I feed my adult bettas 6-8 pellets once a day. Some get this amount twice a day if I'm growing them out.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:31 PM   #4 
Leafygreens

Thanks, MSG and vilmarisv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
What brand food are you feeding? The one I prefer to use is UltraColor Community Fish Food. They come in very small pellets.
I have the Omega One Betta Buffet brand pellets and flakes. I've been using the flakes. The pellets are very small. Just to see what it would look like in comparison, I tried crushing up a couple pellets and would say, side-to-side, they equal about the size of one big flake. I've been feeding one big flake and then a smaller piece...so the total amount I've been feeding would probably equal 3 of the little Omega One pellets twice a day. Once a week I feed either freeze-dried brine shrimp or daphnia for one feeding, about the size of 2 pellets. I may try switching to the pellets if I seem to be having too much trouble estimating the right amount of flake.
Leafygreens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:50 PM   #5 
MSG

Vil has got to be feeding the Ocean Nutrition Atisons Betta Pro

ABP are some of the tiniest pellets I've seen.

I don't feed flakes unless there's other fish to clean up the mess the bettas leave behind. They are designed to eat whole small insects not pieces of processed flaked up fish.

If you have shrimp in the tank or snails, then feed them flakes before you turn the lights off on them.

Feeding flakes with a betta will slowly mess up the quality of your tank's water if you're not careful.

This is what I think of when I watch bettas eat the f-flakes.

MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:54 PM   #6 
finnfinnfriend

Are the atisons smaller than the nls betta pellets?
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:16 PM   #7 
vilmarisv

There are a few variations in size among the Betta Pro; I have 3 of them.
The medium size, which is the one I feed my adults, is the same as NLS.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:14 AM   #8 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilmarisv View Post
There are a few variations in size among the Betta Pro; I have 3 of them.
The medium size, which is the one I feed my adults, is the same as NLS.
So, do you think it would be safe to give my betta 8 new life spectrum betta formula pellets in one meal?

Edit: that is, of course, if he is getting one meal a day...

Last edited by finnfinnfriend; 09-11-2012 at 03:18 AM.
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:47 AM   #9 
KevinPham123

I feed my bettas 3 pellets a day. Is this enough, or should I give them more?
KevinPham123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:05 AM   #10 
vilmarisv

Feeding amounts should be completely based on observation.
If your betta can pass food regularly and does not gain too much weight while you're feeding 6-8 pellets, then that's ok.
If you betta becomes bloated and overweight you reduce the amount; if he's too skinny then you increase.
I feed a lot of food to my bettas but they all get daily flaring which helps them get a bowel movement and I adjust based on how much weight they loose or gain.
All my fish are very healthy and I know very experienced breedersmwho feed more than I do.