Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-08-2014, 01:38 PM   #1 
LovelyBetta

Does my betta's abdomen look normal to you?

I just lost my first betta to dropsy and I am worried that I somehow spread whatever caused it to my other betta. I may just be paranoid but I thought I'd post to see if anyone had any thoughts. Thank you!
Attached Images

LovelyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 01:55 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

How often do you feed him, how much and what brand?

I think I see an Omega One container in the back there? lol
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 02:06 PM   #3 
LovelyBetta

I feed him two pellets in the morning and one at night or 1 in the morning and 1 at night. Yes I feed him omega one pellets, haha.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:13 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Okay, any other foods involved or just the pellets?

He's pretty bloated for just two pellets a day which is very little actually. Has he been pooing regularly? Have you seen any at all? If so, what color/shape is it? Does it look brown and solid or more white and stringy? Has he been scratching against decor or the tank wall at all? Anything odd about his behavior?
Old 03-08-2014, 03:00 PM   #5 
LovelyBetta

I was keeping an eye on my sick fish so I haven't noticed any poop in this little guy's tank. I have been watching since last night and nothing that I've noticed yet but will keep an eye on it. He hasn't been scratching against the tank or decor. Last night and this morning he seemed less active than usual, mostly sitting on his plant or at the top. Today he is swimming around the tank a lot.
Old 03-08-2014, 03:02 PM   #6 
LovelyBetta

Oh and no other food involved. I recently switched from TetraBetta floating mini pellets once I heard they were terrible. He's only been on new food since 2/24.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:20 PM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Okay, so food isn't the issue then. Since you haven't seen any poop I'm leaning more towards internal parasites which you could get General Cure or PraziPro to help get rid of them. I'm using a combination of 1 tsp/gal of Epsom Salt and General Cure on one of my guppy tanks and it's been working very well for them. I am on my second round but I'm also only dosing one 10 gallon packet (1 packet) for the whole 13 gallons so I'm technically under-dosing but that's okay ^_^ I've used PraziPro before as well but I didn't notice an improvement, that one is more towards gill flukes I find rather than internal parasites--I mean, it's still for internal parasites but does a better job at getting rid of flukes rather than parasites if that makes sense to you. But these are just my experiences and I'm sure others have theirs to share as well.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:39 PM   #8 
LovelyBetta

So this morning I found two poos in his tank. Here is a pic of one. Lol. I don't know if this is normal looking?? He seems a little less bloated this morning too.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:39 PM   #9 
LovelyBetta

Whoops, here is the picture. Sorry about bad focus.
Attached Images

Old 03-09-2014, 08:56 PM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Okay! Yeah, looks pretty normal! Sometimes switching over to a new food can cause stress which generally just causes white poo, not bloating so it sounds like he still has an infection within his intestines though. I would try to get some KanaPlex or the General Cure, both should work on him.