Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-13-2012, 10:45 PM   #41 
ao
TFK Moderator

If any one of you young people really care, pitch this to your goverment...It will be easier if they made a law about it rather than trying to change stores 1 by 1 >.>
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:50 PM   #42 
LionCalie

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." -Margaret Reed

Thanks Sivan for your in-depth posts, I agree completely.
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:26 PM   #43 
Sivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
If you buy anything from Walmart or any big box store you are supporting them, even if it's an apple or dog treat. Petco and Petsmart will never be totally innocent of abuse even if the one you shop at has clean betta cups.

I'm just saying things never change, we still have puppymills, we still see tiny animals encased in plastic on keychains and hamsters are being microwaved by sick teenagers all across the country. So if anyone wants to make difference in one fish's life by buying it and nursing it, don't make them feel guilty by saying they are part of the problem. We are all part of the problem whether or not we want to be. This is just the opinion of cynical old lady who has been in a bad mood all day
Just because there is bad in the world does not mean we should give up and accept things the way they are. No progress would ever get done that way. As rational, empathizing, beings we can determine right and wrong and change the wrong. As you said, it makes a difference to the one. Why not try to make a difference more than one? Why not make a difference to an entire chain? A single store could improve conditions for generations of betta fish just because someone cared to make a difference.

If you are against something then do not support it financially. Not buying from the pet sections harms the pet section's sales at Walmart. The store does monitor each area's profit increases and decreases. Should they see a decline in fish sales to the point where it is unprofitable to carry them then the store will no longer carry them, even if just to improve its image. It happens around the United States. It is not unheard of. Look around this forum and see the change and good that users here have done for these fish.

A creature's value is not determined by its size, its cost, or its ability to show the anthropomorphized emotions that we are attracted to as human beings. I do not like snakes and they will never smile at me but that does not mean that I think they should be kept poorly or cruelly. I have a strong phobia against certain (most) insects but I would not kill one if it posed no threat to me (not that I could due to my phobia but I would not want others to kill it to appease me) or have it tortured because I do not like it. Fish are seen as cold, slimy, unemotional creatures that do not deserve attention, time, or love beyond looking good as decor.

That is wrong.

If you care about an animal or a cause then you do not support what threatens it by giving from your pocket; a financial support, regardless of your intent behind it, is still a financial support.

@Aokashi: I will not speak about what other people do with their money; other people do not have the same dedication or feelings toward the subject as I do. However, that being said, I am not in a strong financial situation myself. But I do believe that if you cannot afford a pet then you should not have a pet. I LOVE dogs and would love to save one from the shelters here but I could not afford to keep a dog if it were to get sick. Sure, I could afford some food and toys but not everything it needs. It would not be fair to me or the dog (which would be a traditionally colored beagle named Rosco, in case anyone is wondering) if I were to house it without the means to support it.

The same goes for fish. If I cannot afford to get good, quality, things from a place I can support then I will not get a fish. If I was still so dedicated to having a fish with a low budget (which I was a few months back) I would shop online where I could find better deals or at thrift stores/goodwill, or even garage sales. I would look and put the effort into collecting what I need.

I had a snail a while ago. It got sick and needed a larger tank, which I simply did not have and could barely afford or make room for. People told me I should just let it die because a $2.50 snail is not worth my dedication. However, if I gave something up from my budget I would have been able to afford a new tank. So I did just that. I found a decently priced glass 2.5 gallon tank for my apple snail, bought it food, and nursed it the best I could. The snail appeared to recover and was finally beginning to show interest in food and moving again but died the next day. I do not regret the care and comfort I gave this little creature for just over a week. I purchased the animal and to me that is a contract stating that I will do everything in my power to care for it even when it is difficult to do so, to never give up because it would be financially easier to merely purchase a new one.

I made sacrifices but I did what I felt was right. I understand when other people simply can do nothing about it and my heart goes out to them, for it is tragic. However, to simply disregard the animal and the quality of its care because it is "just a _____" is vile.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:26 AM   #44 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivan View Post

I made sacrifices but I did what I felt was right. I understand when other people simply can do nothing about it and my heart goes out to them, for it is tragic. However, to simply disregard the animal and the quality of its care because it is "just a _____" is vile.
Nobody said that. Puppies are a muti million dollar biz, puppymills still thrive. I'm not sure fish are such a big business. So getting big box stores to treat them better will be harder than puppies, good luck.

Until then, I don't think people should be made to feel guilty for helping. That is all.

Don't be fooled about big box stores, you are supporting them if you buy anything from them.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:02 AM   #45 
RedRaz

I bought my betta from Petco. Actually I buy all my supplies for my crested gecko and leopard gecko there as well. I guess I never really knew there was another option. I know that sounds silly but I didn't. Maybe making people more aware that there are other people *breeders* out there that they could buy from instead of the big chains. I myself turned vegetarian 7 months ago because of how cruel animals were/are being treated. I banned meat and voted with my fork actually three others (family/friends) joined me. I guess making people more aware would be the first step to making a change. Even if only a few listen. At the end of the day it is really up to the individual and how they feel. A person buying for sympathy or adopting a rescue is whatever they feel is right for them. This was a good post because I got to see both side of the coin on this issue. I can't say I will never make a sympathy purchase because I believe in the animals well being at the moment BUT I will make better choices on where I shop and might look into local breeders. Awareness is the first step towards change. ;)
RedRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:04 AM   #46 
registereduser

Check out local aquarium clubs, you can buy or trade from members.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:07 AM   #47 
lelei

I tried to help a king at Petco sometime ago, they are not allowed to sell sick fish Period, according to the store rules..they can get the fish well, but I asked if I could even buy it full price, just to help get him better they would not let me.."Their Policy states they are not allowed to sell sick fish"???
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:07 AM   #48 
MoonShadow

Thank you Sivan for your wonderful responses! Waking up to that made my morning!

I believe it was Mahatma Gandhi who said "Be the change you want to see in the world" Yeah maybe we can't change the world... but saying there's no point in even trying is just lazy and cynical. Anyone has the power to change the world if they put their minds to it and really try. If you want things to change then be that change, and educate others about how they can do the same. Don't just give up because it make seem impossible, some of the greatest achievements ever made were once thought to be impossible!
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:11 AM   #49 
registereduser

Nobody said not to try either. I'll try again,

Don't let anyone make you feel guilty if you feel you want to buy the sick fish. If they won't give it to you or discount it and you want to help it BUY THE FISH!
Old 09-14-2012, 10:31 AM   #50 
Sivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
Nobody said not to try either. I'll try again,

Don't let anyone make you feel guilty if you feel you want to buy the sick fish. If they won't give it to you or discount it and you want to help it BUY THE FISH!
Nobody is trying to make you feel guilty about anything. Nobody should feel guilty to make a sympathy purchase or simply a purchase because they bought a fish they saw and liked. However...

People should be fully aware of their actions. If you truly believe that you are saving fish and making a difference by financially contributing to a cycle of abuse/neglect, be aware that you are. And then, using your own moral guidelines, decide if the financial support is worth it or if you would rather take a different approach to the problem by not supporting a chain of abuse/neglect. Regardless, there is a distinct difference between a true rescue and a sympathy purchase. NEITHER is necessarily right or wrong; it is just a distinction that describes whether or not the larger problem at hand (the source) is being dealt with or if the individual problem is dealt with (the symptom).

I personally would rather fight the source than the symptom because these problems come from somewhere and will continue to do so until their source is dealt with appropriately.

Just be aware of your actions to their fullest degree, especially if you are going to throw around heavy words like "rescue" and truly do want to make a change.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote