Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-14-2012, 10:38 AM   #51 
Sivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
Nobody said that. Puppies are a muti million dollar biz, puppymills still thrive. I'm not sure fish are such a big business. So getting big box stores to treat them better will be harder than puppies, good luck.
Puppy mills are actually beginning to be shut down. Legislation is being passed to shut them down or more heavily regulate them, thanks to a massive public awareness campaign held by Human Societies and the ASPCA. Fish may not be as LARGE of a business but they are bred and sold to THOUSANDS of stores across the US alone. And not just pet stores are supplying them, though they are the largest distributor and can have the largest effect if dealt with first.

If people care there can be change. There has been in the past and there can be in the future is a defeatist attitude is not held by those who want to see a difference.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:19 PM   #52 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

If everyone protests a product and everyone buys that product why change? My local Petco keeps them in bowls but they are spotless. Aquarium industry is a multi-billion dollar business. I am okay with sympathy purchases. A business will only change for profits.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:51 PM   #53 
toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivan View Post
If people care there can be change. There has been in the past and there can be in the future is a defeatist attitude is not held by those who want to see a difference.

I agree with that statement :) But, I'd like to think that we don't have to let the little animals we love so much waste away and die to get our point across. There has got to be a way to save the current fish, and the future ones at the same time.

And, not for nothing, but I've written multiple letters to Wally World about this issue, and never even received a response. I've also complained in the store a million times and never saw any results.

I think that a major reason the puppy mills are being shut down is due to public outcries against such cruelty. But, it's easier to get a large group of people to care about puppies, than to get them to care about fish. If public outcry is what is needed to stop this, we need to educate people, not leave animals rotting on a shelf. It's the convincing people to care about the fish that I think is going to be the hard part.

What we need to do is change the attitude of "It's just a fish".
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:18 PM   #54 
Sivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
What we need to do is change the attitude of "It's just a fish".
Bingo!

By creating a link that causes empathy, such as comparing the life of a fish to an animal people generally care about, a change in relation is possible. That is why I like to use dogs as an example. A classic way to get people to rethink their perspective is to describe the conditions of a puppy mill without using the word "puppy" to rile up disgust and then reveal you are actually describing the conditions that fish are being kept in. Or, use the term "puppy" and then say at the end "now switch puppy with fish and you have a description of how these animals are actually treated everyday in pet stores" or something to that effect. It is interesting to see the look on people's faces when they reconsider. Not all people do because they revert to the "a fish is not a dog" stance and believe that is justification enough but others do rethink and empathize with this creatures.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:19 PM   #55 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

People seem to value an animal based on fur. I prefer fish over dogs. A business will only change for profits. The animals themselves still bring in a lot of money.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:05 PM   #56 
Sivan

Actually, the animals (betta fish in this case) are not what brings in the big bucks. Their sales are only a minor contribution to what they represent: Supplies. Fish tanks, heaters, filters, decor, gravel, food, medication, lights, accessories..... THESE are what keep stores in business. Threatening not to purchase these items and telling all your friends who have pets not to buy from the store WILL get the store's attention. Bad publicity is a store's nightmare and they will try to fix that. Of course, we need the public support.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:37 PM   #57 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

They still make a lot of money on them. More on supplies plus if you do not have a Betta no supplies are needed. Apparently you have not seen my Petco s price for Bettas.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:50 PM   #58 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Yeah Betta prices are rising like oil grab as many Bettas as possible.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:51 PM   #59 
weaver72

Well for me a rescue is a mission of mercey and I have a few betta's that were that,In filthy cups,diseased and I payed for them .I can't save all but I do when I can and bring them home to 2.5 gal and heater's and the best care!Paying for them are not going to stop me.I'll pay the 4-19 dollars to save a life!
weaver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:20 PM   #60 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Technicaly sympathy nothing wrong.