Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-23-2012, 02:37 AM   #1 
Jimmer

Purchasing new Betta for college!

Hi everyone. I owned a Betta all through middle school and high school, had the fellow for a solid eight years, and he passed away about a month before I left for school (now a sophomore). I wasn't allowed to have pets in the dorm but this year I'm in an apartment and want to do something creative and crazy for a new beta fish or two. My original thought was I could set them up in these two half gal Ciroc bottles and set them on my bed end tables. I would obviously keep them cleaned and heated, but after a bunch of reading it turns out betas can "survive" in small amounts of water perfectly fine, but don't really enjoy it? Every Betta tank I have ever seen has generally been a small one. I suddenly decide to start researching for a new Betta and the general consensus is 2.5-3 gallons minimum. Does anyone have any other ideas for a creative college tank that would give my new Bettas a home they would like as much as I do?

Also tips on how to care for them are also appreciated; I got the general idea when I had mine a couple years ago but it belonged more to my family than me and my dad did most of the cleaning. Thanks!
Jimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:27 AM   #2 
asukabetta

These are your bottles right? No, they are too narrow, bettas NEED something to hide in, like a plant because they get scared and feel happier and safer that way and if you put a plant in there all the space is gone.

Also cleaning that well is going to be impossible, because there is no space for filters or anything so it would need 50% water changes every 2-3 days and 100% water changes which is going to be hard and stressing in the fish.

I'm not going to say that you need a +5 gallon tank for one betta, but that bottle no matter how much water it can hold is no good. It's like sticking them in a vase. Which is the same concept.

I would stick to a 1-2 gallon tank, it's easier to handle, clean, decorate and heat. If you really don't want to get a tank where you fish will be happier, you can go to a dollar store and they sell cheap BIG bowls.

But please don't put in a bottle or a vase I know its pretty but it's inconvinient for the fish's eventual health.

I am a college student too and I don't have much room either. that's why I have a 2 gallon tank and a 2,8 gallon bowl.

pics here:

tank

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f...u/IMG_1158.jpg

bowl

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f...u/IMG_1159.jpg
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:38 AM   #3 
Jimmer

Yeah they are. Thanks for the response, but it's not so much size that matters. It's just creativity. I see a lot of Betta fish bowls, I'm basically looking for something different that most of my friends wouldn't think of.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:25 AM   #4 
Savageajc

I read a thread earlier that got out of control because some people were postin on their tumblr pictures of Bettas they kept in their liquor bottles. Just in case, brace yourself. Lol
Savageajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:05 AM   #5 
Jimmer

LOL that's hilarious. I obviously won't now that I know they don't enjoy the space. They might only be fish, but I'm sure it sucks.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:20 AM   #6 
asukabetta

I understand, i tried the creative approach too but in the end they are animals with basic needs not decoration. However decorating the tank is very fun and can make your tank look original and unique, give it themes and such :) it can even look better than any other tank
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:23 AM   #7 
SpookyTooth

Hello and welcome.

I don't see any reason as to why you can't be creative whilst still offering your betta a lovely home Someone on the forums modified a large gumball machine to house a betta with a built-in filter known as a sump hidden in the cabinet the 'aquarium' sat on. Here is a link to the topic: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....umball+machine

A sump may be out of the question for a college student as it requires some DIY and can get expensive but the above is a wonderful example of a creative home that is safe, secure and healthy for the betta. Some people use different manners of storage containers for their bettas and I imagine that you can use almost anything as long as:

* It can hold at least 2.5 gallons of water
* It has enough surface area to allow the betta to have access to air (bettas breathe atmospheric air like humans)
* It can be safely heated (bettas are a tropical fish and require a heater set between 78 and 82 degrees F to thrive)
* It won't bow or break when filled with water (think acrylic or glass with a decent thickness)
* It can house some form of decoration whether it be the form of hiding places or multiple plants (artificial or real, bettas require stimulation and hiding places)
* A lid (bettas can jump quite a distance so a lid is needed, a small space to allow oxygen to move through is good too)

You don't have to have a filter in a tank smaller than 5 gallons but you should do a 50% and 100% water change every week to prevent toxins building up thus poisoning the fish; filters can be used in aquariums smaller than 5 gallons but they require a process known as cycling and as this can take several weeks it may be better for you to just do the water changes, the choice is yours at the end of the day though

You can always get an aquarium if you'd like, there are multiple types available: rectangular, cubular, bowfronted, wavey but as you said, you want something creative. I'm not sure how other members will feel about this and while it isn't something that I'd personally do you can get particularly large, sturdy cookie jars. The jars usually come with a lid and if tested thoroughly (by filling with water) may be suitable for a betta -- just make sure you can clean it well and access it. The lid will need to be kept off-centre very slightly to allow heater cables and oxygen to pass through.

Or, you can stick with a regular aquarium, get some compact fluorescent lights and plant the living daylights out of it -- that's always a unique and creative endeavour in itself. The live plants, once actively growing, will also help to maintain water quality so you may never need to do a 100% water change.

Last edited by SpookyTooth; 10-23-2012 at 05:25 AM.
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:45 AM   #8 
homegrown terror

why not use the bottles IN a bigger tank, maybe with some live plants growing out of them? you could even set up a booze shelf with bottles, decanters and glasses, and the betta tank with the plant-filled bottles as a centerpiece?
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:48 AM   #9 
SpookyTooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown terror View Post
why not use the bottles IN a bigger tank, maybe with some live plants growing out of them? you could even set up a booze shelf with bottles, decanters and glasses, and the betta tank with the plant-filled bottles as a centerpiece?
Oh I love that! As long as the bottles were cleaned out thoroughly with labels removed that'd be wonderful.
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:07 AM   #10 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookyTooth View Post
Oh I love that! As long as the bottles were cleaned out thoroughly with labels removed that'd be wonderful.
sorry, i suppose i should've said that. i guess i just thought it went without saying that you don't want liquor in a fish tank.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote