Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-13-2012, 07:18 PM   #21 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskandbowl View Post
Okay, asking for help again. My Nitritres have been really high for at least the past week and a half. Nitratres have been the lowest reading to nonexistent. Is this normal? I got the sense that once Nitrites showed up, the rest happened pretty quickly.
The nitrIte phase can actually be the longest phase, 2-3 wks. My nitrItes showed up about week 6 on my 10g fish IN cycle & lasted 2 weeks & then were just gone one day.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:40 PM   #22 
whiskandbowl

What do you mean "worn itself out"? Sorry for all the newb questions but this is my first ever cycling experience
whiskandbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:48 PM   #23 
ao
TFK Moderator

the folter cartridges usually have activated carbon in them. this absorbs ammonia and other stuff...

when it cant absorb anymore, it doesnt work any more. but in a biological filtration (cycling) carbon is uneeded....
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:26 PM   #24 
shellieca
Reference Team

Personally I wouldn't worry about the carbon as the BB, when its built up, should process the ammonia. A lot of experienced aquarists don't even use carbon in their filters so its not a necessity.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:28 AM   #25 
ao
TFK Moderator

I dont think she's worried about it, just an explanation for the mystery ammonia disappearance :P
Old 10-14-2012, 03:12 AM   #26 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Carbon does help to eliminate DOCs (dissolved organic carbon) and other impurities that the filter misses. In our low-bioload Betta setups, we counter these by a weekly 50% water change.

in my opinion, and that of many experienced keepers around here, carbon is expensive and irrelevant.

This should also be your last cycling experience. From now on, when you start up a new tank, you'll have live nitrifying bacteria to kick-start your new cycle.
Hallyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:26 PM   #27 
whiskandbowl

Thanks guys.

So much info to take in! A lot of what I'm experiencing isn't mentioned in the stickies, so your help is really appreciated.

I didn't know that about carbon, so it's good to know. I'm not worried I guess, but that brings on another question? How do you know when to replace the filter cartridge? I know it can be swished in old tank water, and when putting in a new cart. to let them run side by side for a while, but how often to replace them?
Old 10-14-2012, 06:34 PM   #28 
ao
TFK Moderator

...never if you can help it XD
the things is your filter cartridge holds the majority of the beneficial bacteria they is keeping your tank in cycle. you dont ever want to throw them out and risk restarting your cycle again....
Old 10-14-2012, 06:43 PM   #29 
whiskandbowl

Don't they wear out ever?
Old 10-14-2012, 07:37 PM   #30 
ao
TFK Moderator

yes they do :) when that happens you put in new filter media with the old...and transfer the bacteria.

I do recommend you lookingfor some filter floss or sponge and stuffing as much as you can in the filter. those will probably never break apart.