Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-17-2012, 08:06 PM   #61 
fantasiip

Yeah, he is calm now. Last night he was more active. I have the salt in, I changed the water, I added the 5 day treatment tablet. The temperature has been in the near hundreds during the day, but as night gets cold. Now the temperature is more constant now that the heater is on and working. This is extremely sad because we was doing soooo well the other day, the power outage threw everything for a loop. I'm just hoping he will stick in there and if he dies, at least he didn't die on the back shelf in a tiny container.
fantasiip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:52 AM   #62 
sunlight

i know i am sure he feels your love. You doing good job, he is lucky to have you .
What kind of treatment tablet did you add? What the tablet for? I really important to know what you treating for before you add it. You don't want to treat for wrong reason ...and sometimes it can do more harm then help. And i always research before i put any medications. I don't trust all medications in the store.
If you add tablets don't use aq salt then.You can use aq salt after the tablet treatment.
Aquarium salt sometimes helps a lot just need to know symptoms. Is he still eating? Lethargic all the time ?

Last edited by sunlight; 09-18-2012 at 09:54 AM.
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:36 PM   #63 
fantasiip

He is hungy as ever. I feed him 3 pellets every other day. I will get the name of the tablets in one sec.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:00 PM   #64 
ao
TFK Moderator

it will be better if you split up the feeding a bit. 2 in the morning, two at night, treats one day a week (replace pellets with fd blood worms or frozen food)...and fast one day a week :)
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:46 PM   #65 
fantasiip

So feed him everyday except once a week?
Old 09-19-2012, 12:32 AM   #66 
Jully

What I would recommend is:

A 5 gallon tank, if you cannot get at least a 5 gallon, please get a 3 gallon at least.

Silk plants, not plastic ones or they'll rip there fins, real aquarium plants they like will work excellent too!

Life Spectrum Pellets, it gives your betta enough protein.

A heater, must have the correct watts depending on your gallons for example a 5 gallon tank would probably need 25 watt heater [maybe more sorry not good at math search google for the correct watts]

A net 2x bigger then your betta.

An extra 1/2 gallon for a quarantine tank.

A digital thermometer or a regular aquarium thermometer.

Aquarium salt, it'll help a lot! If you get aquarium salt, only use for 10 days maximum, it looks like your betta MIGHT have fin rot.

CLEAN WATER, meaning right now you don't have a filter then you need to do a LOT of water changes, and keep clean water to help his fins.

A filter, must be a low setting one not to strong for your betta.

Soft gravel, not sharp gravel but sharp gravel WILL work but it will tear your bettas fins and you wouldn't want that, sand would also be an awesome choice.

Gravel vacuum (optional) it'll save you lot of time, and have you do less water changes.
Jully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:08 AM   #67 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasiip View Post
So feed him everyday except once a week?
yup yup ^_^
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:55 AM   #68 
Tikibirds

you said his fins where shredding, right?
he may not have fin rot or be sick at all. He may be biting them off. Longer Finned males, like your VT and HM's are kinda prone to biting. He may be doing it because his fins are annoying as his are very long or something may be upsetting him - boredom, stress, too much water movement from the filter, ect. If he is losing chunks at a time - like in a few hours - he is most likely snacking on his fins. I had a blue halfmoon that LOOKED like a crown tail because he bit his fins off so badly that all that remained were long strands of fin.

do you happen to have a clear pic of his fins?

and the missing scales - is there any fuzzy stuff around it? There is a bacterial disease called collumnaris that eats away the scales and it usually has torn/shredded fins as a symptom. However, he would most likely be clamped, lethargic and not eating if that were the case.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:37 AM   #69 
fantasiip

He eats like a little piggy. Thanks for the feeding schedule advice, I will get him some worms! I swear the scales were missing but it looks normal now. It's mostly the top fin that is shredded. His tail looks fine. I will post pics after work.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:23 PM   #70 
sunlight

He is eating well , active , scales not missing anymore lol he doing good. Just keep his water super clean and feed every day like aokashi told you to do . Fast him once a week it helps to clear out the digestive system and makes sure there isn't any build up. Just make sure you acclimate him to new chemistry/temperature when you do 100% water changes.

And i am still curious what tablets you put in his tank?
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
curl, curled fins, fins, sick