Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-19-2012, 05:57 PM   #71 
fantasiip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jully View Post
What I would recommend is:

A 5 gallon tank, if you cannot get at least a 5 gallon, please get a 3 gallon at least.

Silk plants, not plastic ones or they'll rip there fins, real aquarium plants they like will work excellent too!

Life Spectrum Pellets, it gives your betta enough protein.

A heater, must have the correct watts depending on your gallons for example a 5 gallon tank would probably need 25 watt heater [maybe more sorry not good at math search google for the correct watts]

A net 2x bigger then your betta.

An extra 1/2 gallon for a quarantine tank.

A digital thermometer or a regular aquarium thermometer.

Aquarium salt, it'll help a lot! If you get aquarium salt, only use for 10 days maximum, it looks like your betta MIGHT have fin rot.

CLEAN WATER, meaning right now you don't have a filter then you need to do a LOT of water changes, and keep clean water to help his fins.

A filter, must be a low setting one not to strong for your betta.

Soft gravel, not sharp gravel but sharp gravel WILL work but it will tear your bettas fins and you wouldn't want that, sand would also be an awesome choice.

Gravel vacuum (optional) it'll save you lot of time, and have you do less water changes.

I have a three gallon tank, baffled filter, took out the toy that I think may have ripped his fins, I have a heater that maintains a temp of between 78 and 82, I have non-jagged rocks, I have silk plants, some betta fish food (Need to get a different brand), I have aquarium salt, prime, a 1 gallon quarantine tank, no net, no life spectrum pellets. Thank you for your input, I will be sure to get thses things you suggested <3
fantasiip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:58 PM   #72 
fantasiip

The tablets are lifeguard all in one treatment. I put half a tablet in everyday around the same time for five days.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:09 PM   #73 
sunlight

i think if for bacterial and fungal disease? I guess if you started you need to finish it. You doing good job but just want to say something aquarium salt is more tolerable and less stressful on fish ...so next time i hope that it not happen though try aq salt first (depending on symptoms of course).
I personally think it defficult to cycle small tanks. Filters are really not necessity i am really think that that 1-50% and 1-100% water changes is better for 3 gall tank size. I just saw a few post when people doing 50% water changes and have problems...
And i would also recommend to do daily water changes with those medications. Even though the instructions don't recommending it. If you can change the water and just add require amount of the medications and acclimate your betta.
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:29 PM   #74 
ao
TFK Moderator

cycling is possible... but I don't believe so in this case with the filter that comes with the tank kit :/
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:52 PM   #75 
fantasiip

What is cycling?
Old 09-20-2012, 08:40 PM   #76 
ao
TFK Moderator

well fish produces waste right?
This waste breaks down in the form of AMMONIA, which is toxic.
When a filter runs in a tank,with the increased oxygenation, bacteria will begin to colonize surfaces and the filter media
The first bacteria to grow will consume the Ammonia. They process ammonia into NITRITES which is more toxic than Ammonia.
After Nitrites are produced, a second colony of bacteria will grow. These will consume nitrites. They process the nitrites into NITRATES which are much much less toxic than ammonia or nitrites.

When this happen, the fish tank is "cycled". Meaning that essentially, the tank has a stable colony of bacteria that will process toxins, namely Ammonia into Nitrites into Nitrates. This way, instead of a weekly 100% waterchange, it is only neccessary to do about 25-50% Water change weekly.

However due to surface space limitations, any tank under 5 gallon are hard to cycle. And sometimes it's even harder to maintain a stable cycle in such a small tank.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:55 PM   #77 
fantasiip

Ahhhhhh, I see. Wow, this is a lot more complicated then I thought. So I should just do 100% water changes then?
Old 09-20-2012, 11:24 PM   #78 
ao
TFK Moderator

weekly XD Cycling takes 4-8 weeks. :P and the reason I said your tank might not beae to cycle is because it looks like it runs on an airpump...?
Old 09-20-2012, 11:48 PM   #79 
sareena79

that is one pretty fish! I really hope u can get his fins back in shape soon. good luck and post pix!
sareena79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:50 PM   #80 
fantasiip

Here he is today, doing a 100% water change, so he isn't happy. Lol.
Attached Images

Tags
curl, curled fins, fins, sick