Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-17-2012, 02:54 PM   #21 
Dynomite

Update: I read this article and thought I'd give it a try as I dont know what else to do.
http://nippyfish.net/2009/09/18/curi...in-betta-fish/

So today I added his first drop of Betta Revive to his daily water changes, in addition ot the epsom salt. Here's a pciture of Dino in blue water :)

Also, I haven't fed him in 2 days, and I found a poo today! I'll kmeep fasting him until Wednesday. But he still looks the same, a little bloated, discolored, slightly pineconed and spending his time vertical which bothers me the most.
Attached Images

Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:57 PM   #22 
Pogthefish

Yeah, keep going until wednesday, then go ahead and give him ONE pellet, then fast a day, then one pellet a day until he is better. Also, have I mentioned espom salt yet?
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:16 AM   #23 
Dynomite

it's been 5 days of daily water changes with epsom salt and betta revive, but Dino is not pulling through...he is actually getting worse

I really really don't want to euthanize him because I'm not convinced that he won't suffer with any of the methods I read about....I wanted him to die naturally; but he is just miserable and might be in pain now, so I have no option but to do it.

I read many many posts and articles on different ways to do it, and I think I'm going to go with the clove oil.

Wish me luck and say a little prayer for Dino today
Old 09-23-2012, 06:56 PM   #24 
Pogthefish

Wait! let me get someone who knows more than me, hold on! I haven't dealt with many sick fish.
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:06 PM   #25 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Hold on okay lets see if we can get someone who really knows about this type of illness and wait to see what they say before you do anything ok ?
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:10 PM   #26 
LittleFish2012

WAIT!! DON'T GIVE UP ON HIM YET!!
My fish became deathly ill as well. It sounds a bit like what is wrong with your fish.
I did nearly everything that you did, except I added 3tsp epsom salt/gallon instead on 1tsp/1.5 gallon. I too used bettaREVIVE.
If he cannot swim to get to the top to breathe, lower the water level so he can. Change it every other day (as to NOT stress him out), but I do recommend using a turkey baster or something to remove his waste. Keep his water temperature warm (around 80). To do this, I set him on a heating pad in dim lighting (also to not cause unneccessary stress).
If he'll eat, that should be a good sign. Mine was unable to eat, so I did not feed him.

This all worked for my fish. I suggest giving these methods a shot, it could work.

Best of wishes! :( Sorry about your fish. I know its hard.
LittleFish2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:12 PM   #27 
LittleFish2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleFish2012 View Post
WAIT!! DON'T GIVE UP ON HIM YET!!
My fish became deathly ill as well. It sounds a bit like what is wrong with your fish.
I did nearly everything that you did, except I added 3tsp epsom salt/gallon instead on 1tsp/1.5 gallon. I too used bettaREVIVE.
If he cannot swim to get to the top to breathe, lower the water level so he can. Change it every other day (as to NOT stress him out), but I do recommend using a turkey baster or something to remove his waste. Keep his water temperature warm (around 80). To do this, I set him on a heating pad in dim lighting (also to not cause unneccessary stress).
If he'll eat, that should be a good sign. Mine was unable to eat, so I did not feed him.

This all worked for my fish. I suggest giving these methods a shot, it could work.

Best of wishes! :( Sorry about your fish. I know its hard.

PLEASE NOTE: I am not an expert on sick fish! I do happen to have some experience with these symptoms. I do not know what is wrong with him. These are just some steps that I would take were he mine.
LittleFish2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:24 PM   #28 
Oldfishlady

If he is pine-conning he may be in system failure and not a lot we can do other than keep them comfy, however, we also don't want to give up too soon-provided that they are not suffering-then we need to do what is right by the Betta.....

Good that you have him in a small container covered with plastic veggie wrap to retain heat/humidity for the labyrinth organ.
Premix the treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add Epsom salt 3tsp/gal (Not aquarium salt)and a tannin source if you have one-either IAL(1lrg crushed/gal) or naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaf (20 crushed/gal). Let this steep for 30min-Shake well...

Using this premixed treatment water-make 25% water changes every 15min for 1 hour today-This will get him acclimated to the new chemistry and start the 10-14 day treatment.

He need to stay in the QT in the premixed treatment water for the duration of the treatment period.

Tomorrow-start 50% daily water changes using the premixed treatment water
If you used a tannin source the water should look darker every day and this is what you want.
Don't worry about any leaf bit that fall in the QT with him.

Nutrition-If you have access to live mosquito larva offer several rinsed several times a day-Otherwise a good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals......

Good luck...and keep us posted....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:33 AM   #29 
Dynomite

wow where had you guys been??
my little Dino passed away on his own yesterday
just as i got home from the pharmacy with the clove oil, I found him dead.

I wish I would've known about doubling the epsom salt or the leaf thing...I could've saved him I feel really bad about not doing everything possible, I wish I knew those things earlier.....

Anyway, I'll keep those in mind in case I get another Betta, but I dont think I will
Old 09-24-2012, 11:03 AM   #30 
Oldfishlady

Sorry for you loss and sorry I was on vacation, however, once he started to pine cone usually that is a sign of system failure and not anything you could have done to save him....You didn't do anything wrong...it happens...

Again sorry for your loss....don't give up.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote