Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-15-2012, 09:18 AM   #1 
Xiuhcoati

Conditioning tips?

Just wondering what all everyone does to condition their pair before breeding. I've got an orange pair I'm currently feeding bloodworms to, but I'd love to find other ideas to get them fat and sassy.

Also, what's the ideal length of time to condition? I'm not in any rush
Xiuhcoati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:46 AM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

You will need three tanks a 10 for raising and breeding. 2 5 gallons near each other to see each other. When the female and male are introduced in the 10 watch them as soon as the female lays the eggs get her out. You need live food for the fry. About a month of conditioning. The breeding tank needs plastic wrap over the water like an inch above the air above must be humid for labyrinth to form correctly.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:19 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

The way I condition my breeders-I keep the breeders in separate containers-neither in the spawning tank. I keep them so that they can't see each other or any other fish. I will allow them to see each other 1 time a day for about 5 min.

I mass feed live mosquito larva and if its off season for the larva-I use my homemade food. Otherwise a good quality varied diet fed 5-6 times a day.

I like to use small containers-half gallon or less in size to condition my breeders-I let the water get cooler-usually in the 75-76F range-its tannin stained with Oak leaves and I don't change the water but 1 time a week of 25-50% using premixed tannin stained water-but I do have floating water lettuce in the container and that help with water quality.

Since I use a natural method to spawn-my spawning tanks are always ready.
But if using the standard method and I highly recommend that for new breeders. Start getting that tank ready while you are getting the breeders conditioned.

Using a 10gal bare bottom tank-either full to the top or half full-which ever way you like it. I have found that the long fin Betta will do better with more water or higher water level.
Add lots of live plants to float in half the tank-keeping the section you want the nest free of plants. I like to use a dry Oak leaf or water lettuce for the nest anchor.
Add a sponge filter and have this on high, add the plants, common snail, either Oak leaves or IAL and start building some beneficial bacteria while you are conditioning the breeders. Anything organic will work for your ammonia source.

Start feeding the common snails leafy green-like blanched spinach-this will help with microorganism development for free range fry food for several days.

After the 2 weeks of conditioning-Turn off the filter-then add the male after proper acclimation-add the female in her container to float-watch their behavior and once they are both showing readiness-release the female.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:36 AM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Yeah he can not forget soft water.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:39 AM   #5 
Oldfishlady

I don't use soft water to spawn my Bettas-With that said...lots of different ways to spawn and rear fry of this species successfully....
Old 09-15-2012, 12:17 PM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Yeah they are but then what PH do you use?
Old 09-15-2012, 12:28 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Yeah they are but then what PH do you use?
Water from my tap-its well water.....pH 8.8 and GH/KH over 300...I call my well water liquid rock. I don't change the pH or hardness of my water to keep, spawn or rear Bettas.

I do soften the water when I spawn other species of fish like the Neon tetra-but only to spawn and for the eggs and fry up to about 8-10 weeks of age-otherwise the Neons are kept in the hard-high pH water without issue.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:46 PM   #8 
EvilVOG

How about re-conditioning... my spawn didn't work out, male ate the eggs i think, he probably had a reason. Anyway so now i have this 10 gallon with plants, a snail and leaf debris, and all kinds of wildlife in the tank that probably came with the plants. Mostly grindal worms/ daphnia. Should i strike the tank outright or just re-arrange it again?
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:42 PM   #9 
Xiuhcoati

Oldfishlady: I like your methods. I keep aged black water on hand fr fry and the breeding tank, but haven't used it for the bettas yet. On feeding live mosquito larvae: do you have a problem with parasites from tem?

Last edited by Xiuhcoati; 09-15-2012 at 06:43 PM. Reason: My iPad changed oldfishlady to "oldish lady" >.<
Xiuhcoati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:49 AM   #10 
Oldfishlady

I have been feeding mosquito larva for at least 20 years more or less and have never had any issues-other than on occasion I will find a monster that the fish didn't eat that has grown up to later eat the fry-Since I use a natural method to spawn I can't see in the bottom of most of my tanks-so these monster go undetected for some time....

EvilVog-If you have access to mosquito larva-mass feed this to both breeders in separate containers-neither in the spawning tank for 3 days and try the spawn again-If the male eats the eggs again-re-condition for a third time and once they spawn- remove either the male or the nest/eggs to artificial hatch-this will at least tell you if the eggs are viable and not just a poor father.
On your tank-this depends-if you have mass amount of thriving plants-I would use it as it is......However, make sure the critters in the tank will not eat the eggs/fry....like dragonfly, damselfly nymps...