Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-11-2012, 11:23 PM   #1 
sandrac8388

Z is for Zorro..new betta..yaaay

This is our new betta Zorro. I brought him home today. He freaked me out for a bit because he was only sitting in the top corner of the tank for a while. Then, he started swimming and exploring and hiding of course. He comes out then goes back in, comes out swims around then goes back in. He is in a 10 gal alone with plenty of silk plants and a cave, a heater, thermometer that reads 78 degrees right now, and i conditioned his water before hand. I am not cylcing the tank, so what water changes should i do? you can see why he got the name zorro, his last two pics aren't the greatest, couldn't catch him still darn it! lol I will not feed him until tomorrow morning with NLS starting at 4 pellets two times/day. Any tips, recommendations, suggestions, are welcomed pleeeeease!!! He found his cave and for right now is in it. anyone know how to get rid of the bubbles against the glass?

sandrac8388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:23 AM   #2 
LadyVictorian

NICE, he's so beautiful :O

I want one like him, no joke, same color and all. Have a name picked out for him already when ever I find one of this color (halfmoon) Atlantis.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:50 AM   #3 
katydidmischief

Beautiful! I love his coloring.
katydidmischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:58 AM   #4 
sandrac8388

Thank you!! My boyfriend and I love him. I might have to return his heater because it is heating but the light that is supposed to come one when it heats isn't working. His temp is still at 78 F. So I'm sure its working. I hate when this happens and I have to make the trip. He did eat 4 pellets this morning and then went back to hiding. He will come out when he thinks I'm not around and he sees me and goes into hiding lol.

How many water changes should I do for the 10 gal? 50% once a week, full at the end of the week? Help!!! :)
Old 09-12-2012, 10:04 AM   #5 
DragonFish

Aww, you went back and got him! Hes SUCH a cutie, his spotted head is so adorable. <3

A 50% and a 100% should be just fine....at least, thats what I would do. xD Haha, good luck! I don't think I could deal with the hassle of an un-cycled 10!
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:28 AM   #6 
xjenuhfur

Omg yusssss you got him and named him Zorro! <3

Also, the tank will eventually cycle.
here is a thread OFL wrote about it.

Last edited by xjenuhfur; 09-12-2012 at 10:30 AM.
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:54 AM   #7 
OrangeAugust

With a tank that size it's hard to do 100% water changes. Even when I got my 5 gallon, before it was cycled, I used a gravel vacuum and I would do 75% water changes 3 times a week. But then it only took a little over 2 weeks for the tank to be cycled (I kept Fishie in it while it was cycling, so I was diligent with my water changes those two weeks). You could do slightly more than 75% change as long as your betta has water deep enough to move around until you get new water back in.
Anyway, you could get a filter and your tank will be cycled eventually. Just make sure you have a liquid test kit and check your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels daily. I was really surprised when it had only been less than 3 weeks and I kept checking the water parameters and the nitrites and ammonia were 0 for a week and I realized it was cycled. I still check the parameters a couple times a week to be safe, but I now only change 25% of the water once a week. It's soooooo much easier.
When you do a large water change with a gravel vac, once you've conditioned it and the temperature is about the same as in his tank, then you can add back about 25% of the water so he gets acclimated to the new parameters. Then about 15 minutes later you can add the rest of the water.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:28 PM   #8 
sandrac8388

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjenuhfur View Post
Omg yusssss you got him and named him Zorro! <3

Also, the tank will eventually cycle.
here is a thread OFL wrote about it.
I read this so slowly and still don't understand it. lol I need like a day1 step 1, day 2 step 1 type of sheet lol. I'm a little slow
Old 09-12-2012, 03:30 PM   #9 
sandrac8388

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAugust View Post
With a tank that size it's hard to do 100% water changes. Even when I got my 5 gallon, before it was cycled, I used a gravel vacuum and I would do 75% water changes 3 times a week. But then it only took a little over 2 weeks for the tank to be cycled (I kept Fishie in it while it was cycling, so I was diligent with my water changes those two weeks). You could do slightly more than 75% change as long as your betta has water deep enough to move around until you get new water back in.
Anyway, you could get a filter and your tank will be cycled eventually. Just make sure you have a liquid test kit and check your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels daily. I was really surprised when it had only been less than 3 weeks and I kept checking the water parameters and the nitrites and ammonia were 0 for a week and I realized it was cycled. I still check the parameters a couple times a week to be safe, but I now only change 25% of the water once a week. It's soooooo much easier.
When you do a large water change with a gravel vac, once you've conditioned it and the temperature is about the same as in his tank, then you can add back about 25% of the water so he gets acclimated to the new parameters. Then about 15 minutes later you can add the rest of the water.
What kind of filter works best? Also the gravel vac..i'm assuming is for just gravel? I have the little marble things because I figured those were a lot easier to clean by hand. I guess that was a FAIL lol

I'm going to do a full water change on sunday and begin cycling? or just add a filter and begin cylcing? Still totally clueless...
Old 09-13-2012, 09:48 PM   #10 
xjenuhfur

You can use a gravel vac for sand & marbles as well. Dont worry about that. :)

Just add a filter and do regular water changes and test the water if you've got a test kit.
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote