Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-11-2012, 03:03 AM   #1 
magnum

Cleaning out tanks...

So, yesterday my little CT female passed away. I'm still unsure what caused it or what happened but she died very quickly and detoriated quickly as well. Anyway, I'm in the process of cleaning her tank out so that it can house another fish.

What I've done so far is wash out everything with cold water a few times, put a fair bit of White Vinegar over gravel and decor and the tank walls. I also then proceeded to add warm water to the vinegar, rinsed out and then filled the entire tank with boiling hot water and left it to soak. I'm really unsure though as to whether this method is safe or not, or what else I can do to sterilize the tank, as I'm not to keen on bleaching it.
magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:04 AM   #2 
LizzyP

Is it glass or acrylic?
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:33 AM   #3 
athenr3134

umm my suggestion is doing the vinegar is a good thing. you know how you clean a coffee maker... pour two cups of vinegar and let it soak but you need to wash the tank in vinegar (what i mean is just take a sponge douse it in vinegar and then let it sit five minutes and then wash it with hot water three times. ) you have to get that smell out of the tank because its a chemical and its very harmful. also whatever caused the fish to get sick all his items should get washed very thoroughly or either replaced which is best. parasites can live on them after the fish has passed away. i am sorry for your loss :( i miss Elmo my blue Betta so much i only got to know him less than an year. he belonged to my client. best of luck! :)
athenr3134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:36 AM   #4 
athenr3134

p.s. when adding a new fish make sure you put all the stuff in the tank then mix the tap water with conditioner, stress enzymes/ stress coat. if there are live plants then add the algae with it. but do this in a separate container then add it to the tank. if it has a filter let the filter run for like half an hour to get it accumulated then add the fish and your all set to go. I've become sort of an expert now since I've dealt with a sick fish and a sick bird.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:47 AM   #5 
KevinPham123

Maybe bacteria was the cause?
KevinPham123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:32 AM   #6 
magnum

Quote:
if it has a filter let the filter run for like half an hour to get it accumulated then add the fish and your all set to go. I've become sort of an expert now since I've dealt with a sick fish and a sick bird.
Do I do this with the heater as well? Plus, how likley is it that the new fish in there will come down with the same thing if I've done the water and vinegar solution?
magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:20 AM   #7 
athenr3134

Heater depending on what one you have mine takes several hours to reach 80 degrees but you don't have to wait to put him in like you do with the filter and this is only when you put a new fish in an old tank. Also long as you have throughly cleaned and dried the tank you should be fine. When I got my new fish I got him a 2.5 gallon because the old fish was in a gallon tank. :( he wasn't my fish and I felt I needed to give the new fish more room. Also I waited two weeks to get a new one... Was mourning lol. He was a very special fish!!! Died on his daddy's surgery day. :( he had fin rot and swim bladder disease. I knew nothing back then. Have a great day!
Old 09-12-2012, 07:22 AM   #8 
athenr3134

P.s. the filter has to distribute the chemicals you evenly before adding fish.