Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: Which pet is easiest to care for out of these?
Dog 7 24.14%
Betta fish 5 17.24%
Cat 8 27.59%
Syrian hamster 0 0%
Dwarf hamster 3 10.34%
Goldfish 0 0%
Leopard gecko 1 3.45%
Ball python 3 10.34%
Corn snake 1 3.45%
Mouse 0 0%
Rats 0 0%
Rabbit 0 0%
Horse 0 0%
Cockateil 0 0%
Macaw 0 0%
Guinea pigs 0 0%
Ferret 0 0%
Goat 0 0%
Tortoise 0 0%
Frog 1 3.45%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-12-2012, 12:17 AM   #1 
finnfinnfriend

Which pet is the easiest to care for?

Provided you take the best possible care of each one:
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:44 AM   #2 
RoxieStClaire

Have to go with dog. Of all the pets I've had over the years, the dog actually causes me the least amount of grief, healthwise.

All my other pets got fatal illnesses I had no control over (like my guinea pig had cancer and a genetic vitamin deficiency to boot, or my current betta fish that gets a new disease everytime I finish treating the last one), but still had to take a ton of time and money to treat. But my dogs are apparently indestructible.
RoxieStClaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:50 AM   #3 
finnfinnfriend

Oh wow, sorry you went through all that! I would have to say betta fish because IMO/E they technically require the least care. But your reasoning makes sense
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:35 AM   #4 
TheCrabbyTabby

I am going to say, a pet rock requires the least amount of experience. Or maybe a furby. Just put 'em to sleep and they are good to go.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:06 AM   #5 
katydidmischief

Honestly, each requires such different care that I can't call any easier than the other. For instance, my rats, hams, gerbils, and guinea pigs all required cages with appropriate bar size (which was a trick with the rats--boogers are smart!) and space as well as constant upkeep: I fed oxbow which isn't cheap, and they lived on fleece, eco-bedding, and carefresh with bi-weekly cleanings due to my own health issues. I ended up doing meds on all of them toward the end of their lives, either for infections, pain, or vitamin deficiencies.

The cats have always had health problems, be they the family cats or my own: my mom has had cats on prescription foods/medication all of my life. I have a blind bottlebaby who needs daily meds at the age of 3 for several problems including nerve pain in her tail, infections in her remaining eye, and herpes. Her "healthy" brother is on prozac.

My best friend has reptiles and their care is just as tedious as the fish--there needs to be certain temps, lighting, substrates, etc, and her snake only just finally started taking meals with regularity. He's 4.

And working at a vet clinic, I have to admit that I've seen so many dogs with diabetes, thyroid problems, and allergies... It really just comes down to what you feel is easy--walking a dog vs cleaning a cat box, cleaning a cage vs doing a WC on your tank. That kind of stuff.
katydidmischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:38 AM   #6 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Gotta say ball python. He's the only pet that lasted through my "gotta have every pet" phase as a child. Everyone else went bye bye.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:57 AM   #7 
RandyTheBettaFish

Cats in my opinion but I didnt have most of the animals up there so I wouldnt know.
RandyTheBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:27 AM   #8 
Hallyx
Reference Team

My Boa was easy to keep and rugged, too. No heater, cage, tank or anything. Just kept him on a box or loose in the closet. Finding mice and, eventually, rats. was the hardest part. But only once every couple of weeks.

The easiest pet I've kept were my leaches. Monthly water change just for aesthetics. Feed them twice a year. Surprisingly interesting behaviors, especially two together. They lived over two years. Pretty good for captive.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:34 AM   #9 
Laki

I voted for dog because if you're all about walking it every day, not as a chore but as part of your lifestyle, then it becomes an enjoyable part of the dog/human relationship. Playing with them and cleaning up their poop come with the package and, again, making it part of your own routine means it doesn't become a chore.
My rodents and my rabbit are chores to clean. Cages and condos, ugh.. And the bunny's hay. kill me now. I'm so allergic to her hay, and so is my bf that hayrack filling sucks!
I love my bettas they're pretty low key but water changes are a chore to keep track of. I actually like doing them once I get started and I think between water changes, bettas top dogs in easiness but they don't give the same affection as dogs.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:36 AM   #10 
BettaQi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
My Boa was easy to keep and rugged, too. No heater, cage, tank or anything. Just kept him on a box or loose in the closet. Finding mice and, eventually, rats. was the hardest part. But only once every couple of weeks.

The easiest pet I've kept were my leaches. Monthly water change just for aesthetics. Feed them twice a year. Surprisingly interesting behaviors, especially two together. They lived over two years. Pretty good for captive.
Um what did you feed them?
BettaQi is offline   Reply With Quote