Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-12-2012, 02:16 AM   #1 
agunn1231

yes this another cycling question

Okay, so ive been lurking here for a while, signed u a while back when i started my fishless cycle. I have read so much on fishless cycling that i feel that my head will burst with knowledge, yet i seem to be at a loss for figuring out whats up. So here's the deal...
I have a 10 gallon set up, with a filter and some aquarium sponge in it so the bacteria has someplace to grow, some silk plants in there too. oh yes, and a heater. I added ammonia when i started but over dosed the tank, the amonia is the ACE hardware pure ammonia. Well, i did a PWC and then filled the tank back up and added dechlorinator, I coudnt afford Prime at the time so i went with the tetra brand. I also dont have any place to get any seeding material, as all the local shops keep their fish in awful conditions and anyone i know who has gotten fish or seeding material from the shops has ended up with sick fish and its just a mess all around. Any how, it has been about two months now and my readings have been at about 1.5ppm ammonia for maybe 4 weeks, no rise in nitrItes. It did go down from 3ppm to 1.5 so i was excited, but it has stayed at 1.5 for a whle now. There have not been any drops in ph, but it did spike for a while then went back to around 7.4. When i add new water to replace the evaporated water it is all dechlorinated (I add the dechlorinator when i fill up the container of water, then add as necessary over the following days). So. Given this...did i get hung up somewhere, or am i just being too impatient with the whole process. Personally i feel like i am being impatient, but with each passing week the voice in the back of my head says "maybe you goofed somewhere". So any advice from all of you wonderful experts on this
agunn1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:20 AM   #2 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Waiting for the nitrifying bacteria to fall out of the sky into your tank is the hardest part of cycling, whether fish-in or fishless.

It is not unusual to go six weeks, as you have, without any apparent change in parameters. Here are a few things you might try to speed things up.

---Turn your filter up for maximum flow
---Dose your ammonia up around 4.0ppm
---Turn your heater up above 85*
---Put just a pinch of crushed fishfood and a few grains of salt in your filter
---Ensure your tank is open to the air
---But otherwise, keep it dark

Although I have no personal experience with bottled bacteria. Some members report a measure of success with Dr Tim's One-and-Only, TLC Smart-Start, Tetra Safestart, Hagen Cycle and Seachem Stability.

I suggest that you just hang in there a few more weeks......unless you have a fish waiting for that tank, in which case I have a different suggestion. So will others, soon.

The good part is that you only have to cycle once. After this is done, you'll have a fresh supply of live nitrifying bacteria to cycle any other tank.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:21 PM   #3 
agunn1231

I was smart enough to decide to not get a fish until after its cycled
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-12-2012, 05:26 PM   #4 
Gale

Quote:
Originally Posted by agunn1231 View Post
Well, i did a PWC and then filled the tank back up and added dechlorinator, I coudnt afford Prime at the time so i went with the tetra brand.
Just to clarify, you did add the dechlorinator before adding the water to the tank, right?
Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:09 PM   #5 
agunn1231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale View Post
Just to clarify, you did add the dechlorinator before adding the water to the tank, right?
Yep! i always make sure to add the dechlorinator prior to adding water
Old 09-12-2012, 07:14 PM   #6 
agunn1231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
Waiting for the nitrifying bacteria to fall out of the sky into your tank is the hardest part of cycling, whether fish-in or fishless.

It is not unusual to go six weeks, as you have, without any apparent change in parameters. Here are a few things you might try to speed things up.

---Turn your filter up for maximum flow
---Dose your ammonia up around 4.0ppm
---Turn your heater up above 85*
---Put just a pinch of crushed fishfood and a few grains of salt in your filter
---Ensure your tank is open to the air
---But otherwise, keep it dark

Although I have no personal experience with bottled bacteria. Some members report a measure of success with Dr Tim's One-and-Only, TLC Smart-Start, Tetra Safestart, Hagen Cycle and Seachem Stability.

I suggest that you just hang in there a few more weeks......unless you have a fish waiting for that tank, in which case I have a different suggestion. So will others, soon.

The good part is that you only have to cycle once. After this is done, you'll have a fresh supply of live nitrifying bacteria to cycle any other tank.
well, im goign to follow some of your advice. and as i was checking out my heater to crank it up, i noticed that it looks to be damaged and possibly corroded inside...this is slightly alarming. But back in subject, I will work on getting most of the light blocked out of the tank in the coming days
Old 09-12-2012, 11:24 PM   #7 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Oops...I forgot to mention: Bacteria really like oxygen. Anything you can do to aerate your tank is a plus. A sponge filter or airstone will help a lot. Can't have too much.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:40 PM   #8 
agunn1231

Well, I got sides of the tank covered with a couple trash bags, the top is still open to air, and the heater issue has been resolved, also have the heater cranked up. The only other thing i am wondering about would be if the tetra dechlorinator is messing with my reading, or possibly isnt actually dechlorinating the water...I also learned recently that i have really hard water, if that makes any difference. I suppose if it nothing happens in the next month or two its not a huge deal as i may be moving in december/january.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:18 AM   #9 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Hard water and high pH is actually good for cycling.

Don't know about Tetra conditioner. Most members here like Seachem Prime. It's OK if Tetra changes ammonia to ammonium like Prime does. The nitrifying bacteria use either on just as well.

Another member has recorded some success using Special Blend and Nite Out II to kickstart the cycle.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:17 PM   #10 
agunn1231

Well, i switched over to using Prime as my dechlorinator, and today i got a reading for nitrItes YAY YAY YAY