Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-07-2012, 05:38 PM   #11 
agunn1231

So I hate to bump this but I think i should, so for a while things were goin well. Two days ago my readings were at 0 for ammonia and nitrIte, and there was a reading for NitrAte too, so I added a little more ammonia and checked yesterday, same thing, so I thought okay one more test to be sure, added a little ammonia again and just tested, well it seems that now my ammonia is at 2ppm, nitrItes and nitrAtes are at 0....that doesn't sound right to me. Also my heat is up to 85, tank is protected from outside light, and the ph had been a steady 7.6 since I last posted in this thread. Just not sure what to make of this, did it all crash or what....also when adding prime, what is the general amount to use with 10 gallons, I suck at math especially conversions like that, I usually dose a couple drops per gallon and I have a dropper that sucks up roughly 1ml of liquid.
agunn1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:10 PM   #12 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Ammonia at 2ppm is not going to crash the cycle. Sometimes it doesn't bounce right back with nitrite and nitrate, even if it has before. Give it a day or two. ("Take two aspirin and call me in the morning.")

Prime at 2drops/gal is what most of us use.

Last edited by Hallyx; 11-07-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:54 PM   #13 
Wendyjo

Did you do a water change or do you have plants? Cause I think those are the only 2 ways that nitrate will go down.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:17 AM   #14 
agunn1231

Well still no change. So I have a feeling that I managed to screw up my cycle. So the next question, Should I keep waiting to see if the reading change as they had, or should I get some new filter media and start again. Either way I have ample time, I'm in no rush to get a new fish, I want to do this right and get the tank stable first regardless of how long it takes.

Edit
Wendyjo, I have no real plants and have not done any water changes, I wonder if I didn't add enough prime last time I topped off the amount of water in the tank.
agunn1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:02 AM   #15 
paloverde

You did't screw up the cycle, it's best not to mess with the filter media as you know the filter media is the bacteria incubator factory.A nitrogen cycle can get a bit stalled
Pm Hallyx and see how best to proceed.
paloverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:19 AM   #16 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Sometimes a cycle will stall for reasons that are not immediately apparent. Your temperature, pH, filter and flow seem to be correct.

I've been checking around and it seems the temperature preferred by nitrifying bacteria is around 82*. No big deal, as far as I can tell, between 82* and 85*.

If your cycle has given nitrite and even nitrate readings, then you have some bacteria in your tank. Keep the aeration up as much as you can (filter on high). Don't touch your filter media.

Stir up the gravel a little to get the beasties active trying to find a place to grow. Then...
..next day, do a >50% water change.

If you think you'd like to try a cycle helper (bacteria in a bottle), I can recommend: Dr Tim's One-and-Only, Tetra Safestart, Nite Out or TLC Smartstart are some that I've heard good things about. These contain the actual bacteria that process the nitrogen cycle.

Because they are alive, they are date dependent and should be refrigerated. If you order the product from Dr Tim's website, it is shipped in an insulated container. By the way, Dr Tim Hovanec got his doctorate researching nitrifying bacteria. His original product (Bio-Spira) became Tetra Safestart.

Nutrafin Cycle and Seachem Stability, among others, do not have these bacteria. They have a different kind. If you want to get sciencey, I'll send you some URLs.

Last edited by Hallyx; 11-12-2012 at 04:21 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:42 AM   #17 
Wendyjo

Prime doesn't affect your cycle one way or the other. Well, if you don't add any the chlorine will mess things up, but what I'm saying is as long as you're adding the recommended amount you'll be fine but adding more isn't going to help in any way.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:50 AM   #18 
Hallyx
Reference Team

^+1