Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-12-2012, 06:01 PM   #11 
RedRaz

Thank you all for your comments! I so appreciate that. Yes he seems very healthy with good color and no fin rot or frying. His eyes are clear and no film on his body. Just a little bit of white spots on his head but I bought him that way so not sure if that is anything. I am going to the store to pick up a thermometer, heater, water test kit and salt.
RedRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:05 PM   #12 
RedRaz

BETTACHALOVE I just put him in the cup. I am cleaning his tank with my hubs help of course. ;) Yeah he looks good just that laying down thing is bothersome. I will definitely keep the water clean and keep trying to feed him. I did notice a lot of his uneaten food was at the bottom of his tank. Do you think the pellets are too big for him? I will buy some blood worms today. Sounds yummy ;)
Old 09-12-2012, 06:54 PM   #13 
BETTACHKALOVE

He really looks completely normal in that little cup and swimming around. If he stays at the bottom a lot like you said and how i understood he was more active before, you can keep him in the cup and try to do water change tomorrow like you did today see how he doing. Try to feed him. And give us update.
I would put him tomorrow in his tank though and see how he doing. Remember to acclimate him to new water temperature/chemistry by adding new water in his changing cup. Then you can just put him in the tank. And see how he doing, if he still at the bottom of the tank.

What kind of pellet do you have? Did he eat them at the beginning. Sometimes new bettas really takes time until they start eating. I know some pellet are big not sure what kind are you using.
I like Aqueon Betta Food,New Life Spectum Betta Formula if you can find them. New Life though not floating and if he is not eating they will sink to the bottom right away.
It good to have aquarium salt on hands just in case you need it.

Cover container with lid bettas can jump...

Last edited by BETTACHKALOVE; 09-12-2012 at 07:09 PM.
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:40 PM   #14 
BETTACHKALOVE

White spots that you talking about on his head , is it something new or he had them before? Is it looks like they fuzzy,cottony like patches? I thought it his normal coloration unless they are new, fuzzy patches or will spread out on his body or get bigger.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:41 PM   #15 
RedRaz

I got all the betta "get well" items at the pet store. The water tested new and old are both at good levels. I bought a thermometer and a heater to keep track of the temps. I also bought a betta fix which was highly recommended. I was happy to come home to an active happy Raz. No laying on his side. I'm some what baffled because I'm not sure why he was acting that way. He is still in his cup for right now until tomorrow then I will acclimate him. I even fed him a blood worm and he ate some of it. I will keep an eye on him and see how he does. Thank you all for such great advice. I will keep you all updated.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:47 PM   #16 
RedRaz

Sorry I forgot to answer these questions. The pellet food is Aqueon and the flakes are BettaMin by Tetra. As for those spots they look like his normal coloration it's not fuzzy or new. I bought him that way. I don't see it on his body just his head.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:09 PM   #17 
RedRaz

Ugh! Well when the guy at Petco tested my water he used a test strip. I hear this is not ideal for accurately testing water quality. :( Also he mentioned that my water had no Nitrate or Ammonia. Is this a good thing? He acted like it was. I feel confused about the whole cycling of the tank. How do I know that my tank has been cycled correctly? I wish I was better informed at the pet store before I bought my fish. I would really have liked to do this all correctly first. Any advice? I did use the Quick Start liquid and Stress Coat when I clean my tank out and I'm keeping it running right now with out my betta. My tank is a 2.5 gal Aqueon with filter.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:23 AM   #18 
BETTACHKALOVE

Then spots are his normal coloration so you don't have to worry about it.

Pellets are good so try them, pellets better then flakes. Blood worms -what kind did you buy? Did you get frozen one or freeze dried one? You have to be careful with freeze dried one and feed only about 2-3 times a week only. I usually feed it in the morning instead of the pellets. You CAN NOT use them as a daily meal.

You do not need use betta fix. And i read negative opinions on that. And you don't need it anyway.
No Nitrite, ammonia is good.

I don't cycle my 2.5 gall and i don't cycle my 5 gall. So if you want you can do what i do and all my 8 bettas are old with those water changes.

I am recommending to do 1-50 and 1-100% water changes a week for the 2.5 gall. You really don't need filter if you will do those water changes.

Filter media require care. You need to swish/wash it regularly change the cartridge, vacuum the gravel. I hate to do all of that. I am really recommending to do what i do.

The only one thing that you need to do is make sure when you do 100% water changes acclimate him. I leaned on this forum from someone to use aged water. All you need just put water conditioner and let the water sit 12-24 hrs this way water will be the same temperature.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:41 AM   #19 
RedRaz

Okay that is good to know. I will try the pellets again today and see how he does. So the blood worms are more like snacks. ;) Got it. I bought the freeze dried blood worms ones. Eeek! Is that bad?

That water changing idea seems more reasonable for me. I was really having a hard time with cycling. I will definitely do the two water changes every week. I was gonna ask you do you think the filter bothers him because when I removed him from the filtered tank he got 100 % better no more laying down on his side. He is still picky at eating. Little stinker. :D

Oh on the 100% water changes I use this stress coat but should I also use the Quick Start as well? The brand is API.

Thanks again! You rock! :)
Old 09-13-2012, 11:51 AM   #20 
BETTACHKALOVE

Yes the those that you bought just for the snacks. He really need to eat pellets . Is he refusing them?

I don't have filters so i really don't know anything about that. But i know if filter flow too strong some betta don't like a lot of water movements. And all the time if you have filter you need to be sure it not too strong and baffle it. I had accident long time ago when betta stuck in the filter so i don't have filters for any of my tanks ...

About stress coat yes you need to use it. About Quick Start not familiar with. Is it water conditioner or just it for cycling?

I am using Prime by Seachem water conditioner . I think you can use just stress coat along as water conditioner. Let me be back to you on it.