Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-09-2012, 10:54 AM   #1 
labloverl

What's the best thing to feed?

I know pellets, but for a varied diet...

My LFS is big on frozen bloodworms. They feed that to just about every type of fish. I don't like frozen bloodworms because it's nasty, hard to get a small amount, and just nasty again lol.

But I'd really like to know all the benefits of the different foods. Frozen, freeze dried bloodworms... daphnia, mosquito larva? I know that live foods are good for fin growth, but what is a good varied diet?
labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:17 AM   #2 
kellyyoungmoney

i know that you're only supposed to feed bloodworms 1 to 2 times a week, they arent really a staple food to be feeding for a long period of time.
kellyyoungmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:18 AM   #3 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

All have different nutrients mixing things like pellets live food freeze dried is best and longer life span.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:19 AM   #4 
Seki

From what I understand, freeze-dried bloodworms are kind of like junk food for bettas. They love them, but they're not overly nutritious for them. I use freeze-dried bloodworms as treats every now and then, but my bettas' staple is their pellets. I have heard good things about mosquito larvae (OFL suggested those as a nutritious option when my betta was very sick), and I always hear good things about frozen foods.
Seki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:00 PM   #5 
labloverl

Ok, do you all feed different brands of pellets with different protein amounts, or do you stick with just one?
labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:37 PM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

Actually FD foods actually have tons of nutrients. Even Sakura stated that herself.
A varied diet is key in a diet so you want tons of food for your Betta. It is best to have 1 of each food types, (i.e. frozen) so they get to experience the 'thrill' of different foods if you get what I'm saying. ;)
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:46 PM   #7 
LittleBettaFish

I feed my bettas a staple diet of pellets (NLS community formula), which are supplemented by frozen bloodworms/brineshrimp as well as live blackworms and live whiteworms.

I think variety in the diet of any animal is key. That way you can cover all your bases and hopefully avoid any deficiencies.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:25 PM   #8 
vilmarisv

You don't need to have 4 different kinds of foods for your betta if you have a good pellet.
The best pellet for them is Atison's Betta Pro but, unfortuantelly, is no longer produced.
The next best thing, like LittleBettaFish mentioned, is the New Life Spectrum Betta formula which you will find at most Petco stores.
What you want to look for in a pellet has no "Fish Meal" or "Wheat Flour" listed as the main ingredient. You want whole protein as a main ingredient.
Also look for high protein and crude fat percentages.
FYI, The NLS is a sime-floating pellet and I recommend you feed 1 at a time or it might sink when you fish wiggles aroung the pellets.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:30 PM   #9 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilmarisv View Post
You don't need to have 4 different kinds of foods for your betta if you have a good pellet.
The best pellet for them is Atison's Betta Pro but, unfortuantelly, is no longer produced.
The next best thing, like LittleBettaFish mentioned, is the New Life Spectrum Betta formula which you will find at most Petco stores.
What you want to look for in a pellet has no "Fish Meal" or "Wheat Flour" listed as the main ingredient. You want whole protein as a main ingredient.
Also look for high protein and crude fat percentages.
FYI, The NLS is a sime-floating pellet and I recommend you feed 1 at a time or it might sink when you fish wiggles aroung the pellets.
+1
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:12 PM   #10 
LaLaLeyla

I feed my bettas aqueon betta pellets. Although people say it's not the best out there my bettas love it. XD
LaLaLeyla is offline   Reply With Quote