Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-12-2012, 07:19 PM   #1 
finnfinnfriend

Light brown crud...

So I have had this thin layer of light brown residue that appears on the walls of my tank (mostly near the heater) and on my betta's cave and silk plants. What is this and how do I get rid of it? It's been coming back for months and I'm sick of it....
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:12 PM   #2 
finnfinnfriend

Please help?
Old 09-12-2012, 10:59 PM   #3 
MSG

No need to panic. The b stuff should be harmless..

• Without an actual photo, brown crud could be a multitude of things in a aquarium, but I have a feeling this stuff is probably brown algae from too much light or nurients surfing around your tank.
  • If it bothers you that much, grab your "Aquarium safe toothbrush" and scrub the area down. No need for any cleansers. The toothbrush should be more than sufficient.

Also these little b-microbes are probably growing around your heater because you haven't cleaned that section in a while.

I know once I mount a heater in a location in the tank, I might move it MAYBE once every month or so. I try not to stick my hands in the water if it's not necessary.

• The little bits that come off when you're scrubbing will be vacuumed up hopefully by the next day by whatever filter you're using.
  • Be careful around the silicone edges with the brush if you have a traditional style glass tank.

I don't recall what tank/filter/heater/equipment you own, but have fun scrubbing.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:30 PM   #4 
finnfinnfriend

What bugs me the most is the stuff on the silk plants. Ive tried rinsing them off but the brown stuff wont come out!
Old 09-12-2012, 11:38 PM   #5 
finnfinnfriend

Here's a picture of one of the silk plants, it's supposed to be all light green:
Attached Images

Old 09-12-2012, 11:52 PM   #6 
MsGita

That definitely seems like brown algae. I've been fighting it for months and it is a pain! I wish I could tell you how to get rid of it but I can't figure it out either! I've researched and researched and no one, not even experts seem to know exactly how to get rid of it. A lot of times it pops up in new tanks and you just have to wait for it to go away on it's own. But I've been waiting and waiting.....
MsGita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:54 PM   #7 
finnfinnfriend

Is it okay to just ignore it then? I don't really care if it's there...It just makes me look like a bad fish owner to people who don't know better lol...
Old 09-13-2012, 12:38 AM   #8 
MsGita

Yes it's ok, it won't hurt the fish, it just looks really ugly. lol
Mine is much worse than yours, I'm constantly scrubbing it off of the plants and walls. I hate it, I'm so embarrassed for anyone to see it. But I've been assured by my local aquarium expert that it can happen to anyone and he even has a tank that is plagued with it.

Just keep up your water changes and keep scrubbing.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:47 AM   #9 
finnfinnfriend

Thank you. Do I have to scrub it though?
Old 09-13-2012, 12:59 AM   #10 
MsGita

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
Thank you. Do I have to scrub it though?
Well thats what I do just because I hate the look of it but I don't know if I have to. It comes back in a few days anyway. Is it a new tank? Or has something changed that could of caused it? (water supply, new deco)?