Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-12-2012, 02:59 PM   #1 
RedRaz

My betta stays at the bottom of his tank and won't eat :(

Hello Everyone! I'm new here and new to the betta world. I recently bought a beautiful Delta Tail male betta that I named Raz at Petco a week 1/2 ago. He was perfect swimming and happy. Then I noticed his appetite was not good. I tried pellets but they would just sink to the ground and he wouldn't eat it just kept spitting it out. So I thought he is picky and bought some flakes instead. Still no appetite. Then I noticed yesterday he would stay at the bottom of his tank laying on his side on the gravel. When I approach the tank he sees me and starts swimming again but this worries me. I'm a new betta owner so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have a filtered 2.5 gal tank. I did use a Quick start and Stress coat then I let the filter with treated water run for 24hrs before putting him into the tank. I live in Chicago but the weather here is in the 80's so I don't believe the water temp is the issue. I plan to buy a heater and thermometer today though and get the water tested too. I took a video of my little guy to show you how he is acting. I just have to figure out how to post it. Hmmm. I only had Raz for a little over a week but I'm crazy about him and want to help him get better any way I can.
RedRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:09 PM   #2 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Hi and welcome to the forum its a great place to learn proper Betta care. When is the last time you did a water change ? Good idea to get the water tested an if you have not changed it in a week and a half week that could be the problem. To show a video here you need to upload it somewhere like you tube and then put the link here so we can click on it and see the video.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:26 PM   #3 
RedRaz

Hello Perseusmom! Thanks for the welcome and the reply. I have not changed the water yet. YIKES! I didn't know I had to so soon. When I get the water results I will change the water ASAP. I'm uploading the video right now on to youtube. Then I will link it here.

Here is a picture I took.
Attached Images

Old 09-12-2012, 03:43 PM   #4 
RedRaz

Here is the link for the video of Raz. Raz swimming
Old 09-12-2012, 05:38 PM   #5 
BETTACHKALOVE

I couldn't see the video. But i would take filter out and try to do 100% water change today and tomorrow and see if it helps. Give us update.

Make sure new water approximately the same temperature as his water. Stress coat is good to use. If you can take him out and put in the changing cup(you can use cup that you bought him in). Rinse his gravel with water.
Leave him in the changing cup with his original water then add about 15% of the new water let him stay in that water for about 10 min. Do it a few times.

See if water changes will help. I don't think he is lethargic because of the temperature. You need to change his water.
Do you have live plants in his tank?
I don't see any visual symptoms on his body. He is not bloated right? I think it due to water quality
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:45 PM   #6 
RedRaz

Hello there! Try this link for the video Raz swimming

Oh wow thank for the advice. I have been freaking out trying to help him. :(

I only have gravel and a big plant (plastic) in the center of it. He looks fine really. I did notice he has some white spots on his head but I bought him that way.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:47 PM   #7 
BETTACHKALOVE

If he is at the bottom of the tank it might be easier for him to be in the lower water. So you can leave him in the cup but make sure you cover it with a lid so he don't jump or you can put him back in the tank but lower the water so it will be easier for him to swim up for the air
Old 09-12-2012, 05:50 PM   #8 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Love him he is so pretty ! For one thing his tail is heavy since he is a halfmoon tail type I think at least he is and their tails do get heavy that might be why he stays at the bottom of the tank a lot. But he looks very healthy to me. Just keep up with your water changes every week and he should be fine. I think for your size tank its 3 50 percent changes per week and maybe one 75 percent change I will double check on that for you since I am not sure cause I have a 5 gallon.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:52 PM   #9 
Sceven

Did you happen to get a temp reading? I would agree that he needs to have lower water for now while he is acting strangely so that he can get to air faster. Do you notice any film on him? Like excess slime coat?
Sceven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:55 PM   #10 
BETTACHKALOVE

I didn't see you post. I just saw the video. He looks pretty good actually. Some bettas take long time to start eating. Keep trying and keep his water super clean. I didn't see any symptoms of disease. His body clean and he is not bloated. He not look even lethargic. Maybe he is different in the cup ...

So you did water change?

If you did water change you can put him in his 2.5 gall. Just watch him. Keep trying give him food. Always remove uneaten food so it not contaminate the water.
You also can try frozen blood worms if you can get it. But be careful don't overfeed.

Posted at the same time didn't see everyone's posts :)

Last edited by BETTACHKALOVE; 09-12-2012 at 06:02 PM.