Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-16-2012, 02:10 AM   #1 
anak

Exclamation Betta Fish Newbie and He may be sick!

Hi!
I recently got a betta fish for the first time (about a month ago). His name is Gerard. He has generally been a happy little guy- eating a lot, building bubble nests, swimming all over the place. Now he just sits in one corner a lot, doesn't seem to like the food I've been giving him, and is losing his bright color.
I really don't know what's up.

I clean his bowl every few days and mostly just use the stuff that makes tap water safe. I don't really use much else to put in the water. Is there anything I'm doing wrong?
Also, I'm going to try and post a pic of him (Gerard) and maybe somebody with more expertise can tell me what's going on.
Thanks!
Attached Images

anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:13 AM   #2 
Bettanewbie60

Do you know what the temp is in his tank? It is getting colder, and you may need a heater if the water is too cold.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:16 AM   #3 
anak

That is quite possible. I live in Colorado and the temperature has been kind of dropping for a few nights. I have him pretty close to my window.

I can't afford a fancy set up quite yet. But I'm hoping to get him a tank and heater as soon as I can afford it. Are there any other tips and tricks for keeping him warm and happy for cheap?
Old 09-16-2012, 02:20 AM   #4 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by anak View Post
That is quite possible. I live in Colorado and the temperature has been kind of dropping for a few nights. I have him pretty close to my window.

I can't afford a fancy set up quite yet. But I'm hoping to get him a tank and heater as soon as I can afford it. Are there any other tips and tricks for keeping him warm and happy for cheap?
Definitely move him away from windows or doors..and put him near an inside wall for sure. If you don't have a thermometer definitely get one..they are like $2 at Walmart. What size tank is he in...maybe I can give you a link to a cheap heater...Petsmart sells some small ones just for like 1g bowls..I don't know how reliable they are, but you are better with a cheap one than none...but again, the thermometer is very important. They come with a green strip on them which shows where the water temp should be at all times..
Old 09-16-2012, 02:24 AM   #5 
Bettanewbie60

This is one of the small betta heaters...you need to watch carefully with your thermometer to make sure it is heating enough, and not too much. I found some great adjustable heaters at Pet Supplies plus...one was only $10 and is perfect for a small tank. I also found two on their discount shelf today for only $7.98...
Old 09-16-2012, 02:28 AM   #6 
anak

Ok, I'll visit petsmart tomorrow and see what kind of goodies I can get him. Does he look like he is having any diseases or anything along his fins? I'm just worried that the problem is bigger than just heat.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:29 AM   #7 
anak

OH, and his bowl is about 1 g.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:45 AM   #8 
Bettanewbie60

How often are you doing water changes, and are you using a water conditioner? I know you are worried, but lets check all the basics first...most issues are water related..how clean, temp, etc.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:46 AM   #9 
Bettanewbie60

It's hard to tell how his fins look from the pics...but he's not clamped up, so if he's hanging at the bottom and not as active..I'm thinking let's take care of his water first...
Old 09-16-2012, 02:48 AM   #10 
Bettanewbie60

Sorry I just noticed you already posted on the water changes..how much are you changing each time?

Tags
emergency, fish ailments, help confused, sick betta