Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-03-2012, 10:53 AM   #1 
scurrie11

Fin rot or just a tear?

Hi there, I just moved into my own apartment and brought all my fish with me.

I have a 5 gallon divided tank with 2 bettas. One is a CT and the other is a VT. My crowntail wasn't showing any signs of fin rot at all before we left. His fins were long and beautiful with no tears at all.

Now that we're all settled in our apartment, I realized that he has a big ol rip down the middle of his tail and the fringies around the rip are fraying. He looks like someone pulled them off, but there there also looks like a needle prick hole around the area too. He doesn't sit still so I can, in no way, get a picture. He still flares, still swims EVERYWHERE, still is really active, loves to eat bloodworms from my hand, loves to beg, is still his usual self, he just has that tear and breakage. He also hasn't faded or anything. I'm not sure if it could be finrot or just a tear. Can the temperature affect their fins? I know they are sensitive to temperature. I accidentally left my second 100w heater at home so I won't be able to get that for another week. Their temp is staying within 75-77, I know, that is low, but I really can't do anything about it right this second. The water quality in my tank is:

pH: I think about a 7.8, maybe 8 (test kit colors all look the same) Is this too high?
Amm: .15ppm I know, it should be zero, and it was before we moved. I took the way more than half of their original water with me, so I only did about a 45% water change when we moved.
Nitrite: .15ppm Again, I know, it should be zero, I'm only wondering if this could cause one betta to have problems and not the other.
Nitrate: 5.0 ppm

I think it might be my water quality. I will preform a water change today and see what happens. They have a little bit of everything in their tank so I'm assuming its trying to finish up the cycle and I interrupted it by moving and stressed Bleu out.

I have a filter on the tank set to the lowest setting. The water I use IS city water but I add API's Stress Coat water conditioner. I add aquarium salt every once in a while.

I would love it if someone could give me their advice and what they think could be going on.
scurrie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:23 AM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

First off that tank is slightly overstocked some live plants will help with the Nitrate do you have any hiding spots if both have the damage fin rot salt bath will help if one it is nipping I recommend live food and decorations.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:29 AM   #3 
scurrie11

I really don't think the tank is overstocked, I do a water change every 4th day and test on those days as well. I have plenty of hiding places, no one nips, only one has a little damage, I feed them frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp, and I have decorations.

I don't want to do live plants because I use salt and the plants can't withstand the salt, also I don't want to have to deal with them if they don't have enough carbon dioxide, etc.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:32 AM   #4 
scurrie11

Neither one is showing signs of sickness at all, thats why I THINK it might be just a tear from one of the plants, so I took that one out, its a little bit prickly for their delicate fins.

I did 40% water change, added a teaspoon of aquarium salt, dropped in 3 drops of melafix and we'll see what happens.

And yes, I know melafix is too strong of a concentration for bettas, I don't use the same amount and I dilute it in separate water, then put it in there.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:40 AM   #5 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Put peace lilies in the filter you do not need to worry about CO2 if you want some advice Java fern can live in brackish and freshwater aquarium salt does not really seem like a problem to the plants seem like the Bettas are less tolerant of it with all those Nitrates way too high that will encourage algae Marimo like salt they like abit of aquarium salt.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:44 AM   #6 
ao
TFK Moderator

Some good warm water should fix him right up :) if there are any sign of black edges, you can give him a 10 day Aq salt treatment. goodluck!

Last edited by ao; 09-03-2012 at 11:47 AM.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:47 AM   #7 
xjenuhfur

A five gallon divided is not overstocked. -__-
It sounds like its just a split from over flaring and could possibly be stress. Just give him some TLC and he should be okay. :) warm clean water works wonders.
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:50 AM   #8 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjenuhfur View Post
A five gallon divided is not overstocked. -__-
It sounds like its just a split from over flaring and could possibly be stress. Just give him some TLC and he should be okay. :) warm clean water works wonders.
Many consider 5 gallon the bare minimum like look at the water parameters.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:54 AM   #9 
xjenuhfur

PETA considers 5gals a minimum, but overstocked doesn't refer to the amount of fish in a tank it refers to the bioload.
Goblin is as happy as can be, and is in a 2.5 heated. A 5 gal divided gives each fish 2.5 gallons which is sufficient for bettas. :)
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:06 PM   #10 
ao
TFK Moderator

Totally not true
My betta flares all day :) he's not stressed at all.
Every betta is unique. Some get depressed when their tank buddy is removed. Whilst others prefer to be by themselves
ao is offline   Reply With Quote