Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-13-2012, 10:02 AM   #1 
BettasRpeople2

Poor Bruce

My son's betta, Bruce has had a lump on his gill cover for quite some time. I tried treating it with epsom salt quite a while back, but it did nothing. I have pretty much assumed that it is a tumor, and there is nothing I can do for him. However, it has basically taken over that whole side of his head, and now he has started a new lump on the top of his head. Is there anything I can do for the poor guy? He has to be absolutely miserable. The scales on the large lump have basically merged into one solid mass on that side of his face, and it's huge. I wish I could post a pic for you, but I don't have a functional camera.

He is in a 3 gal, heated tank - about 76 usually since the basement is pretty cool. His tank is cleaned once a week. Being my son's fish, it's a little harder for me to stay on top of his cleanings, but I try.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do. Thanks.

Last edited by BettasRpeople2; 09-13-2012 at 10:08 AM.
BettasRpeople2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:32 PM   #2 
lvandert

What color is the lump? If it's white and milky then you've got lymph. It doesn't have a cure but its not usually fatal. You just have to keep his waters clean and wait it out
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:38 PM   #3 
BettasRpeople2

Yeah, it's white. He's had it for months now, and it just keeps getting bigger. He has started not to eat as well now too. I imagine it is getting difficult for him to chew his food with that mass. He usually approaches the first pellet with gusto, but leaves the rest. I feel so bad for the little guy.

And now, with a second one starting, I'm afraid for him. If the new one follows the same course as the other, he is going to be in trouble. His vision is already impaired on the one side because the mass partially covers his eye. I wish there were something I could do.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:11 PM   #4 
lvandert

Search lymphocystis, look at some pictures, and verify thats what it is. It can spread but its generally only in one area of the fish's body. If tat is it then there isn't much you can do. Clean water, good foods, and hope it goes away on its own. Although the spot its in may makes it complicated. To help him breathe better you could add some aq salt to the water but you can only dose that for up to 10 days before you'd have to stop.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:53 PM   #5 
BettasRpeople2

It's hard to tell honestly. Bruce's growth looks a lot smoother than the pics and descriptions, but it does look a little clustered like that right under his eye. His also seems to be deeper under the skin than what it looked like in the pics I could find, but it's really hard to say. I'm certainly no fish doctor.

Maybe I should bring him upstairs for a while, so I can keep his water quality up. I'm afraid his is the tank most prone to poor water conditions with him being in my son's room in the basement. It sounds like good water is my best option if lymphocystis is what I am dealing with.