Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-13-2012, 10:14 AM   #1 
Thrifty Bee

Is Moss Snail Proof?

What I mean by snail proof is will they eat it? If they do, do they eat it fast enough to kill it?

I couldn't find reasonably priced moss so I bought a bundle of anacharis instead, that happened to carry stowaways, snails. The pet store said they weren't a danger to my Bettas and that they would help keep my tank clean by eating algae, fish waste, and uneaten food, and they looked really cool so I decided to keep them.

The pet store didn't mention they would also eat my anacharis which they did, stripped the leaves down to bare stems and then even those seemed to waste away.

I do admit the my anacharis didn't get a lot of bright light. I don't know how much light anacharis needs but maybe it didn't get enough and wasn't as healthy and that's why the snails were drawn to it. Which leads me to my next question; how much light does moss need?

Plastic plants tear the bettas' fins so I would really like to stay with live plants but aquarium lights aren't an option, I don't want to get rid of the snails, and I can't budget a lot of money for them.

So, do I have a chance with moss? Or more appropriately, would moss stand a chance with me?
Thrifty Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:27 AM   #2 
BettaQi

I have one snails and an apple snail in a tank with willow moss and flame moss and the moss is fine and growing out.

My snails haven't eaten any of my floating plants water sprite, dwarf water lettuce, broad leaf water wisteria salvinia.

Sorry about your anachris.
BettaQi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:37 AM   #3 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Do you know what type of snails they are ? Some eat plants and some dont.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:35 AM   #4 
Thrifty Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseusmom View Post
Do you know what type of snails they are ? Some eat plants and some dont.
I searched through pictures of various aquarium snails on the internet and I believe I've accurately identified them as Ramshorn Snails.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:54 AM   #5 
Silverfang

I've never seen a snail eat moss... yet. They will however lay eggs in/on it. And that is the big issue with "pest" snails.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:12 PM   #6 
Thrifty Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfang View Post
I've never seen a snail eat moss... yet. They will however lay eggs in/on it. And that is the big issue with "pest" snails.

What would be considered a pest snail? Anything I don't want and can't get rid of?

I didn't purposely get the snails, they were already in the anacharis when I bought it. But I didn't see the harm in keeping them because the pet store said they would help keep my tanks clean. My tanks don't have filters and I had said more than once that I wished Algae Eaters were an option. But even if those could live without an air pump I know they aren't compatible with Bettas. I used to have a few in a tank with some goldfish and they would literally harass the goldfish to death trying to latch onto their tails. When I was told that snails do the same things, (cleaning not harassing) I thought I'd found the perfect solution and for free, my favorite price.

Do people usually consider ramshorn snails pests? Do they cause harm other than anacharis eating?

My guys really miss their plants but I don't want to waste anymore money on something that's not going to live.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:20 PM   #7 
ao
TFK Moderator

Ramshorn snails do not eat healthy plants... maybe your plant was dying...

Moss, Java fern, Anubias... these will be some options if you reall think your snails ate the plants.

I have tanks full of ramshorns, they dont touch the plants unless the plants are not doing so well.

Last edited by ao; 09-13-2012 at 01:22 PM.
ao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:31 PM   #8 
Laki

My ramshorn Milton (yes I only have one, after careful monitering in a separate tank) only cleans the dirt off my healthy plants. He goes around cleaning everything but even he leaves the dead plant material alone!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:49 PM   #9 
Thrifty Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
Ramshorn snails do not eat healthy plants... maybe your plant was dying...

Moss, Java fern, Anubias... these will be some options if you reall think your snails ate the plants.

I have tanks full of ramshorns, they dont touch the plants unless the plants are not doing so well.

That's good to know. And yes it's possible, as I said I'm not sure they got enough light. That's not something I can change so that's why I want to know whether or not moss needs much light.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:10 PM   #10 
Laki

Depends on the moss. My marimo moss balls could survive in a closet I think lol
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote