Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-13-2012, 10:45 AM   #1 
labloverl

conditioning the water

I'm curious to know the different ways people do their water changes, and when they condition the water.

If I'm doing a PWC on my 10 gallon, I fill up one jug at a time, add a few drops of conditioner(directions are only 2 teaspoons for 10 gallons), and then pour it in the tank. Then I treat for the full 10 gallons as I was told to do so by someone on here. This seems to make the bottle disappear very quickly. I use tetra aqua safe from walmart. I don't have a petsmart or petco to go to so I'm stuck with walmart and whatever other off-brands the LFS has. Do they make conditioners that have more accurate/precise dosing directions? I once had a neat little bottle that went by drops, and it lasted forever! I like the walmart brand though because it replenishes slime coat.

Also, how would I treat the water and the tank if I were just topping off the tank during the middle of the week from evaporation?
labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:58 AM   #2 
vilmarisv

You don't need to condition the old water, just the one your adding. People come up with the craziest things.
I use Prime conditioner which is only 1-2 drops per galon... this stuff lasts a long time. I have the big bottle and it's been almost 2 years since I bought it.
When you are topping off the tank you just treat a galon of water, use what you need and dump the rest.
I let sit my water overnight but that's because I'm mega cautios and have fry growing.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:29 AM   #3 
sarahspins

I pre-treat mine in a 5 gallon bucket, and let it sit while I'm vacuuming the old water out. I refill/retreat as necessary. I also use prime and I bought the tiny bottle (it was about $6) and I don't think I'll need to worry about running out until I start maintaining some larger tanks :) I currently have 4, but they only total about 13 gallons, so on 50% water change days I use a little more than one bucket full, but on full water changes I fill it 3 times and I end up with a bit left in the bucket, which I just keep for the next 50% change.

Any good LFS should have prime... it looks a bit like a generic product but if you ask for it, they should know what you mean and will probably have it for sale. Prime restores slime coat as do most water conditioners.

Treating the tank water is only necessary if you are refilling with tap water (like some people do with very large tanks using a hose connected to the sink). Otherwise treat per gallon and don't worry about the tank water.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:29 AM   #4 
labloverl

Ok, just to be extra sure, do you add an extra drop lol? I would probably do this.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:33 AM   #5 
labloverl

Thanks, sarahspins. I will have to go looking for Prime.

I'm going to have to find something different from what I'm using or use a 5 gallon bucket like you do. It's hard to treat each gallon!
Old 09-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #6 
finnfinnfriend

I usually add one extra drop than what i think i need, just to be safe. I just put my tap water in a bucket, add the conditioner, swirl it around with my hand, and then pour it in the tank...
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:47 AM   #7 
vilmarisv

With Prime you don't need to worry about using more than what it calls for. I don't really measure, I use the cap to pour what I think is enough and then dump in the water.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #8 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

I have a 5 gallon tank and I use 1 gallon jugs for water changes and use Prime to treat with, 2 drops per gallon, I find this the easiest way for me. I let it set a couple of hours then do my water change, take out 50 percent and put in 50 percent which is 2 and half gallon jugs.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:15 PM   #9 
pyro fiend

personally. i keep bucket[s] in my room. i keep a 5g sometimes 2 in my room at all times under a desk. when im doing waterchanges. use a jug to get the water out of the 10 and 20. when doing 1's i just cup the fish. rense out the tank realy well. then use a cup [thats in the water] to fill the bowl/tank when filling my 10g. i use the full bucket. and when the 20 [sence its still cycling i do 25% twice a week] i do the same.. usually i fill a jug and use it to fill tank till the buckets down to like 1g.

setting the water out evaporates all the chlorine in like 12 hrs [tho usually let it sit for over a day]. my water has no ammonia or anything [besides the chlorine] so thats what i do :) no more buying conditioners XD only thing i add to my tanks is ick medicine just to be sure when i buy new fish :) [which is in a 1g always so not a whole lot is waisted]
pyro fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:24 PM   #10 
Bettanewbie60

I like Tetra Betta Safe because it measure 7 drops per gallon...I have two, one gallon jugs I keep full and conditioned...I need a couple more lol. The conditioner lasts a long time, and the last time I ran out I had a heck of a time finding anything that listed the 1g measurement...I'm glad I found more of the one I like.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote