Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-13-2012, 04:04 PM   #1 
sunlight

frozen blood worms

Hello everyone, i am trying to recommend people to feed bettas with frozen blood worms. I am personally afraid to do it. My question is ,can betta get internal parasites from frozen blood worms?

Thank you !
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:25 PM   #2 
Laki

Frozen bloodworms are farmed. I doubt there is anything living in them to make a betta sick. In fact, with the high protein content bettas just absolutely LOVE them and they're extremely nutritious.
You want to hear a horror story about them?
My sister and I each had like 1-2 bettas at the time but we lived separately. We bought a pack of frozen bloodworms and tried the split the package on the bus ride home so we could each take half home for our fish..

Well,

Never been so grossed out in my life. These things took no time to thaw and it was all over my sister's leg and we couldn't find anything to keep them in and then the foil on the edges where we split the package got loose.. We managed to figure it out and both went home with half a pack of thawing bloodworms, give or take. lol

SO, this was meant to show you the worst case scenario with blooworms! lol The pros outweigh the cons in terms of "grossnes". I still think they're vile but they're harvested safe, and they make fish so happy!

I reuse an old syringe (needle-less) to squirt them into the water. My bettas love hunting them. Before the syringe I used the back end of a paintbrush.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:17 PM   #3 
sunlight

ha ha ha very funny story. I would not want that thing on my leg lol It took me a month to get used to even freeze dried blood worms. I couldn't touch it. Now i finally can.
Thank you for information. I was always afraid to feed my bettas with frozen blood worms, now may be i will try.Not sure though how. It will take me long time to get used to it and touch it lol But i will definitely recommend to other people especially if they have sick betta.

How often you recommend to feed them with frozen one's?

Last edited by sunlight; 09-13-2012 at 11:22 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:52 PM   #4 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Many members here recommend them only as treats a few time a week.

But I have one old VT who eats nothing but bloodworms...off a toothpick, btw. (Occasionally I blend some brine shrimp or daphnia in with them.)

They're high in protein and are similar to what wild Betta eat. I guess they're a little fatty, but a healthy active Betta should do well.

My other fish get pellets and frozen daphnia (for roughage) and/or frozen bloodworms on a random schedule. But they jump for worms.

Yum, yummy!! Who doesn't like bloodworms. ;-}
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:14 AM   #5 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Yes, there is a risk with any freeze dried/frozen bloodworms. As far as I know the risk is of protozoans getting in the fish, which are parasites, and difficult to cure at that. Farming practice for these animals is not very good, from what I've heard, they are basically raised on sewage.
A safer option is brine shrimp, or pretty much anything else, because things like brine shrimp need a cleaner environment than bloodworms.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:23 AM   #6 
Laki

Thanks for the info Olympia! Had no idea.
You can raise your own bugs for live feeding. I wouldn't want to since bugs sort of freak me out (I don't kill them but I don't like hearing them move and feeling their legs)
Are brine shrimp aka sea monkeys?? If so, they could even be fun to raise!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:35 AM   #7 
titolatino1970

i was paranoid about the bloodworms to hikari are guaranteed parasite free
i dont no if they really are but that lil label gives me peace of mind lol
titolatino1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:39 AM   #8 
SnowySurface

I always assumed the freezing processed killed any acteria and parasites. Isn't it the live bloodworms that can pass on diseases more so than the frozen bloodworms?

I ask since I'm already feeding my bettas blood worms a few times a week.
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:41 AM   #9 
sunlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by titolatino1970 View Post
i was paranoid about the bloodworms to hikari are guaranteed parasite free
i dont no if they really are but that lil label gives me peace of mind lol
If you talking about hikari freeze dried then don't worry about i feed with it all their life as a treat. We talking about frozen ones that you can buy in refrigerator :)
Old 09-14-2012, 08:50 AM   #10 
sunlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Yes, there is a risk with any freeze dried/frozen bloodworms. As far as I know the risk is of protozoans getting in the fish, which are parasites, and difficult to cure at that. Farming practice for these animals is not very good, from what I've heard, they are basically raised on sewage.
A safer option is brine shrimp, or pretty much anything else, because things like brine shrimp need a cleaner environment than bloodworms.
Olympia , i have freeze dried brine shrimp is it good?
You talking about the ones that in refrigerator right? Can it be found in the pet store?