Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-15-2012, 08:51 AM   #1 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Betta Plants

What kinds of plants make a good jungle effect. P.S. How do I get rid of blue green algae/ a small bit of brown algae can not use chemicals.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:55 AM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Hello, I also have an apple snail.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:11 AM   #3 
Sundancex

No advice for the algae. When my tank starts with algae I dose Excel and decrease the photoperiod.

Crypts are fairly easy to care for (although I personally don't have good luck with them) and can create a "jungle" effect. My personal favorite plant is Purple Cabomba. It is a beautiful reddish rust color with bits of green and has done well for me in my tank. My dwarf lily also grows like CRAZY.
Sundancex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:46 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Tell us about the tank with the BGA-tank size, how much and how often are the water changes, additives used, type of filter, filter media, cleaning...etc....any live plants-number, species, growth state, type of lights-age of bulbs, kelvin, watts and photoperiod, type of substrate, how deep, livestock-number and species, how long has the tank been running and water prams for-ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and KH/GH if you have that too. How long has the tank had the BGA and what have you tried so far...also does the tank get any natural sunlight....

Can you post a pic...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:29 PM   #5 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

7.6 PH, filter come with the tank. 50 percent water changes weekly. Ferts every ounce in a while. 25 watt light bulb plus natural light. Three or four months old was allowed to put it up because my IV then had my appendix out. Betta and spike topped apple snail.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:55 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

What is the kelvin on the bulb, partition between the light and water-how old is the light bulb-How much natural light from what facing window (North, South, East, west) how long does it get the natural light and is any of it sun or is it diffused light.

How many and what species of plants and type of substrate-I am going to assume this is the 10 gal filtered tank...correct....

Where is the BGA-on plants, walls, floor...etc.....

You add ferts-what kind, how much and do you add them after a water change.....

More detailed info the better....you have to figure out the cause too-otherwise is can be an on-going problem.....

The way I take care of BGA-is with manual removal with a small siphon so that I can target remove the BGA and other organics without removing too much water at a time on a daily basis. Increase water movement and decrease natural light. If the light bulb is over or near 12 months of age- I change it to a new Daylight 6500k 20w for 10gal tank. Either remove the partition between the light/water or ensure it is clean and free of debris for best light penetration to plants. Depending on the species of plants-PP of 10-12h/day to help encourage plant growth. Best to add plant ferts after a water changes to remove any unused so the algae and BGA can't use it.

Can you post a pic....
Old 09-15-2012, 02:08 PM   #7 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Good idea I do not have a test kit because of the cost. What is a kelvin and BGA.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:41 PM   #8 
megaredize

i just got bacopa's in my new tank and love them there are nice and tall and you can plant then in a cluster or spread them out. and apparently they are easy to take care of from what I read.
megaredize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:46 PM   #9 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Sounds good.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:32 AM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Good idea I do not have a test kit because of the cost. What is a kelvin and BGA.
BGA-blue green algae or cyanobacteria

Kelvin-color temp of the light or what he plant can see to use for energy/photosynthesis