Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-13-2012, 07:32 PM   #1 
wah543
Member
 
wah543's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New York
HELP 10 gallon tank water help

This is not really betta related but we have a 10 gallon community tank with 2 guppies, 2 tetras, a glo fish, a molly, and an algae eater. We do regular water changes and vacuuming every week. We have had everyone in this tank live perfectly fine for months. A while a go one of the guppies we saw was pine coning so we took her out and she died soon after. We watched the other fish for a while and no one else seemed to be pine coning or anything. A couple of weeks a go we noticed the other guppy wasn't really active and would stay on the bottom of the tank and wouldn't really move even when one of the tetras would nudge him to get him up. Within the next day or two we noticed it was dead. Now our molly really wasn't acting any different still eating and pooping like crazy, but yesterday he was pooping a long stringy clear poop. I looked up somewhere that that could be due to internal parasites. Today we found he was dead too. Now we're just wondering what we should do, we were thinking about taking all the other fish out in case there's something in the water and taking all the water out. My question is how do we empty a 10 gallon tank completely?
wah543 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:59 PM   #2 
Bettanewbie60
Member
 
Bettanewbie60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Coastal Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wah543 View Post
This is not really betta related but we have a 10 gallon community tank with 2 guppies, 2 tetras, a glo fish, a molly, and an algae eater. We do regular water changes and vacuuming every week. We have had everyone in this tank live perfectly fine for months. A while a go one of the guppies we saw was pine coning so we took her out and she died soon after. We watched the other fish for a while and no one else seemed to be pine coning or anything. A couple of weeks a go we noticed the other guppy wasn't really active and would stay on the bottom of the tank and wouldn't really move even when one of the tetras would nudge him to get him up. Within the next day or two we noticed it was dead. Now our molly really wasn't acting any different still eating and pooping like crazy, but yesterday he was pooping a long stringy clear poop. I looked up somewhere that that could be due to internal parasites. Today we found he was dead too. Now we're just wondering what we should do, we were thinking about taking all the other fish out in case there's something in the water and taking all the water out. My question is how do we empty a 10 gallon tank completely?
Yeah, it definitely sounds like a parasite spreading through your fish...Just get a couple of 5g buckets to empty your 10g water into...use your vacuum to remove the water. The whole tank will need to be emptied and cleaned completely with either bleach or vinegar. I'm not experienced with fish illnesses, but I'm thinking you will need to get something to treat with...hope someone else can help you with that part. Best of luck to you!
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:07 PM   #3 
wah543
Member
 
wah543's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettanewbie60 View Post
Yeah, it definitely sounds like a parasite spreading through your fish...Just get a couple of 5g buckets to empty your 10g water into...use your vacuum to remove the water. The whole tank will need to be emptied and cleaned completely with either bleach or vinegar. I'm not experienced with fish illnesses, but I'm thinking you will need to get something to treat with...hope someone else can help you with that part. Best of luck to you!
Ok I got to find someplace to put these guys in the meantime, hope everything works out
wah543 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:15 PM   #4 
Bettanewbie60
Member
 
Bettanewbie60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Coastal Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wah543 View Post
Ok I got to find someplace to put these guys in the meantime, hope everything works out
Yeah, I was wondering what you had to put them in also...it stinks. I have several 1g bowls I keep just for "hospital" tanks..I hope you manage okay, so sorry you are going through this.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:51 PM   #5 
wah543
Member
 
wah543's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettanewbie60 View Post
Yeah, I was wondering what you had to put them in also...it stinks. I have several 1g bowls I keep just for "hospital" tanks..I hope you manage okay, so sorry you are going through this.
Yeah it's actually my sisters tank she's not too happy, I just hope the rest of the them survive
wah543 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:45 PM   #6 
Bettafish
Member
 
Bettafish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
using epsom salt helps cure internal parasites i believe but not sure
Bettafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:49 PM   #7 
wah543
Member
 
wah543's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New York
Update: so we took the other 4 fish out and cleaned out the tank completely and put them back in a little while later. Later that day one of the tetras died suddenly. Could whatever it is still be in their systems? Now we've been watching the other 3 and they seem to be doing fine so far, its been a few days now. Is there anything else we should do?
wah543 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1/2 Gallon Tank Water Changes DanielleB Betta Fish Care 9 08-16-2012 11:07 PM
Water Changes for 3.5-Gallon Filtered Tank chix0r Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 3 08-24-2011 08:08 PM
10 Gallon Tank Water Changes Hinata Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 6 07-21-2011 05:07 PM
3 Gallon tank water changes. bettagirl28 Betta Fish Care 1 02-19-2011 10:07 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.