Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-15-2012, 08:20 AM   #1 
JadeAngel

Where to put a heater for less cold spots?

So basically I've decided to get 2 50 watt heaters for our 2 5 gallon tanks. But I'm getting them online so I have plenty of time to sort out where to put them in the tanks.

I know that tanks can get cold spots if the water isn't circulated well enough... but I haven't the faintest where is the best place to put a heater. So I drew up my fish tank set up (my husband's is just the same but a boat instead of a castle and 1 less plant)

There is a filter in the top center that gives a bit of circulation down... and an air stone in the left corner that gives some going up (I put valves on the air stones. My betta likes a stronger bubble stream but my husband's only likes a gentle one)

My betta spends most of his sleepy time on the tall plant to the right, and some of it cuddle up to the right side of the filter by the tall plant.

My husband's betta tends to prefer the right side of his filter.

So where would be the best place to put the heater? I want to put it towards the bottom and horizontal to get the most space heated and let the warm water float up... but should I put it to the left or right of the filter? Or in the center behind the castle? (but that seems less efficient)

If I put it towards the left, that circulates the water well but then will the right side (where my betta likes to spend a lot of time, and there is very little water movement) have a lot of cold spots?

If I put it towards the right, will the left side of the tank warm itself enough due to the better circulation on that side?

Thanks for the help!
Attached Images

JadeAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:43 AM   #2 
Laki

In a 5 gallon a 50w heater will be suffice. No doubt, between the bubbles and filter and the fish swimming in general it will get warm. I would lay it horizontal along the bottom for better distribution.
My 5 gallon is divided and the heater is one side, the filter on the other. I measure the temp on the side without the filter and it's steady. My filter is baffled so there is a very slight current, not enough to circulate the tank.. I don't think you need to worry about it too much!! lol
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:04 AM   #3 
amyteee

Horizontal under the filter would probably be the best place to put your heater. :)
amyteee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:05 PM   #4 
JadeAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyteee View Post
Horizontal under the filter would probably be the best place to put your heater. :)
I think I may go with that in the end. The castle will hide it from view and hopefully there will be no cold spots. Until the winter time I don't think my fish will really feel too much of a difference... but come winter I'll find out if he avoids certain spots.

I have a thermometer on one side.. but I think I'll get another for the other side to make sure it does heat evenly.

Thanks
JadeAngel is offline   Reply With Quote