Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-12-2012, 09:33 PM   #1 
OrangeAugust

Unhappy Fishie's tail looks shredded! D:

I came home from work today and Fishie's caudal fin looks shredded!! I'm so upset!! I don't know what happened! There's nothing in his tank with sharp edges. Do you think he's biting his tail? I haven't seen him do it, but I don't know what else it could be. Fin rot looks different than a bunch of long, ragged tears, right?
What would make him start biting his fins if that's what he's doing? The only difference in his tank is that I just put a heater in a few days ago. It's been hot in my apartment so I hadn't needed one yet. So I put it in a couple of days ago. Otherwise, everything's the same.
Does it sound like he's biting his tail? It looks awful. I'm so sad.
How can I get it to heal quicker? Or how can I get him to stop biting it if that's even what caused it?
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:36 PM   #2 
laynisample

Could you get any pictures? That would help us be able to see what it looks like to help you better.
laynisample is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:51 PM   #3 
OrangeAugust

Ok, here are a few pics.
It's hard to see the magnitude of it because his fins kind of look like a pleated skirt when he's not flaring. lol.
Attached Images

Old 09-13-2012, 12:20 AM   #4 
OrangeAugust

Anyone??
Old 09-13-2012, 04:31 AM   #5 
LizzyP

Yep, he's biting. Could be his tail is just getting too heavy for him. You generally won't see them do it. Mine is a nighttime biter. As far as healing faster, high protein food, and Stress Coat. Just watch very closely for signs of fin rot. I don't think salt is needed as of right now. Just warm water and some TLC :)
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:00 AM   #6 
OrangeAugust

Thanks, Lizzy.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:15 AM   #7 
LizzyP

Have you been interacting with him lately? My VT chews his tail off if he doesn't see me everyday. Try spending a few minutes with him everyday and see if that helps :)
Old 09-13-2012, 07:33 AM   #8 
OrangeAugust

I do spend time with him. He's in my living room next to my couch and in the mornings I come sit next to him and feed him and watch him for a few minutes, and then at night when I'm home, I'm there next to him while I'm watching TV or on the computer or whatever, and I'll intermittently watch him swimming around, and put my finger on the glass (even though he always kinda spazzes when I do that. lol).
Old 09-13-2012, 08:51 AM   #9 
LizzyP

Yeah, it might be getting too heavy for him. Long finned males will trim their tails when they get too long :) no need to worry unless an infection starts.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:01 AM   #10 
OrangeAugust

Do you think his fins have grown in 2 months, though? His picture in my avatar was from when I first got him. I don't know if his fins got longer. He seemed to be full-grown when I got him. He doesn't seem to have trouble swimming at all. It's kinda sad that the halfmoons, or rosetails as someone told me he is, were bred to be super pretty but it makes them uncomfortable. Will he stop trying to trim them, or now that he discovered he can reach his tail will he continue to do it forever?

Tags
shredded fins, tail biting