Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-16-2012, 01:33 PM   #1 
maycausedeath

Velvet/Parasites?

Sorry to make another topic, but my betta's behavior has changed a lot so I thought it was worth it. His bloating has not gone down, and I noticed him darting occasionally. It seems like he has trouble swimming and just hanging out by the filter. What really worries me is what looks like gold dust under his chin. I'm afraid it might be velvet.

I didn't feed him at all this morning and I have been fasting him since yesterday because of the bloating. He was begging this morning, but quit, which is really unusual since he usually won't leave me alone when I'm looking into his tank.

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 g
What temperature is your tank? 80 F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 pellets twice per day, but nothing since yesterday

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Weekly, I have both rooted and floating live plants.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? What looks like gold dust under chin, bloated
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Lethargic, darting
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 2 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Nothing so far other than fasting
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Fin rot when I first got him
How old is your fish (approximately)? ~2 years, maybe more

Would it stress him out too much to do a water change? He's overdue by a few days, but I don't want to make it worse by stressing him.

maycausedeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:52 PM   #2 
maycausedeath

Anyone? He's barely moving I'm not sure if he'll last the night.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:46 AM   #3 
maycausedeath

I fed him two pellets this morning, he seems to be having trouble seeing, he had a hard time getting his pellets and is knocking into the plants. He is still darting.

I'm going ahead with the water change when I get home this afternoon, but I would really love some help here
Old 09-17-2012, 09:23 AM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

If there isn't anymore rust dusting anywhere on his body, then it's not Velvet... If he has parasites, then there needs to be more on his body, they multiply very quickly.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:17 PM   #5 
maycausedeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
If there isn't anymore rust dusting anywhere on his body, then it's not Velvet... If he has parasites, then there needs to be more on his body, they multiply very quickly.
That is the only gold on his body, so I guess I can cross velvet off at least

I'm going to go ahead with a 50% water change, I changed out of few cups between classes and he was his usual annoying self, trying to swim into the cup (only when he knows he won't be cupped ) and following me around, hopefully it doesn't stress him out too much.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:21 PM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

Well, I hope he gets back to normal soon! I don't know what's wrong... Your setup is the best that can possibly be done. :] He might just be getting old. You might as well lower the water level so it's easier for him to breath.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:40 PM   #7 
maycausedeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
Well, I hope he gets back to normal soon! I don't know what's wrong... Your setup is the best that can possibly be done. :] He might just be getting old. You might as well lower the water level so it's easier for him to breath.
Aw, thanks, both for the well wishes and setup comment

He likes to hang out in the floating plants, so I don't think I need to lower the water level for now, but I'll watch to make sure he can make it to the surface alright.

I did the water change, I'm really hoping it's just a combination of bloat and stress from ammonia - a lot of my plants have been dropping leaves since the bulb went out and I didn't notice all the plant matter in the water
Old 09-19-2012, 06:16 PM   #8 
maycausedeath

Update: I came home today and wanted to take a picture of him to send to a friend. I found him taking a gigantic poo He's still bloated, but it's nothing like before and he's back to his old self, no more lethargic behavior!

Thanks for the help