Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-05-2012, 01:25 PM   #1 
Alcemistnv

Unhappy A tail biter's journey

Pudge has begun tailbiting, and I guess I'm just going to post the pics to show how fast he's progressing with it. I don't want to stop him, because I've noticed that he can't stay swimming straight without sloping down because of his tail. I'd be willing to remove some of the fin, but I'm not ready for a procedure like that.

August 26th

September 1st

September 3rd

(It's a bit blurry sorry)
September 5th (Today)

I'm hoping that he doesn't reduce his fins to a stump at this rate. He always does it also at night time. I'll wake up to find more chunks missing, but never during the day.
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #2 
Sanguinefox
Banned

Maybe he needs to be in a larger space?
Sanguinefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:47 PM   #3 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
Look what my tailbiter did recently. I want to put a cone on his head like they do with dogs and cats.

mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:54 PM   #4 
Alcemistnv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguinefox View Post
Maybe he needs to be in a larger space?
Hmmmm I don't know. I'm still thinking it's the fact that its his heavy tail since he can't even flare anymore....
but I don't think I have a bigger space for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mursey View Post
Look what my tailbiter did recently. I want to put a cone on his head like they do with dogs and cats.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I hope Pudge won't do it! D8
Old 09-05-2012, 09:20 PM   #5 
jeanclaudeasher

I have a tail biter as well, I think he bites his tail when it gets too heavy for him to swim easily. He lets it grow out to a certain length and then he starts biting it. It's very frustrating!! He has 10 gallons to swim and play in so he has plenty of room lol.
jeanclaudeasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:26 PM   #6 
jeanclaudeasher

Here is what his tail looked like before he started biting his tail, he lets it grow to about half of the length it is in this picture and then he starts biting it again.
Attached Images

Old 09-05-2012, 11:10 PM   #7 
registereduser

I'm surprised but relieved that Irving doesn't do it.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:49 AM   #8 
Opioid Slumber

Is there anything that could be stressing him? One of our bettas is extremely active, loves to play, show off and takes up every inch of his 5 gallon tank by flitting around constantly. He started biting his tail a few days ago, so we put new things outside of his tank for him to look at and we will change the view for him frequently. We do this because I asked my fiancee if he might be bored and he agreed that it could be boredom. I've read that bettas can get bored and enjoy having their surroundings changed so they have new things to see when they swim by. This applies to the inside and outside of their tank. We are going to buy some new stuff for the inside for him also, so we can rotate the things he swims by all day and night. Until we get new decorations in a day or two we are just going to keep placing things right outside his tank so he can look at them. We are also starting to get him to play some games, such as putting food in a water bottle cap and floating it in his tank so he can knock it over to get the treat, or letting him eat off our fingers.
Opioid Slumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:22 PM   #9 
Alcemistnv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opioid Slumber View Post
Is there anything that could be stressing him? One of our bettas is extremely active, loves to play, show off and takes up every inch of his 5 gallon tank by flitting around constantly. He started biting his tail a few days ago, so we put new things outside of his tank for him to look at and we will change the view for him frequently. We do this because I asked my fiancee if he might be bored and he agreed that it could be boredom. I've read that bettas can get bored and enjoy having their surroundings changed so they have new things to see when they swim by. This applies to the inside and outside of their tank. We are going to buy some new stuff for the inside for him also, so we can rotate the things he swims by all day and night. Until we get new decorations in a day or two we are just going to keep placing things right outside his tank so he can look at them. We are also starting to get him to play some games, such as putting food in a water bottle cap and floating it in his tank so he can knock it over to get the treat, or letting him eat off our fingers.

I honestly don't think that there is anything stressing him... he's been in the same tank for a month now, and the decorations have been moved about. Right now is log is upright to create a more tunnel like feature for him.
I don't even think having Squirt in there is a problem either :<

I have been playing with them recently so I hope that could help ease it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanclaudeasher View Post
Here is what his tail looked like before he started biting his tail, he lets it grow to about half of the length it is in this picture and then he starts biting it again.
I'm assuming yours is a veiltail? Buddha's tail is long like that but he's never one bit it, unusually.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:46 PM   #10 
jeanclaudeasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcemistnv View Post
I'm assuming yours is a veiltail? Buddha's tail is long like that but he's never one bit it, unusually.
Yea he is a veiltail, I have noticed that when he starts to bite it again is when it starts to get heavy enough that it seems to drag his tail end down. His tail used to be longer than his body and he starts biting when it gets to about the length of his body again, hes been doing this for months now and nothing I have tried has stopped the trend, I've tried new decorations, taking silk plants out and trying new ones, no filter and filter, big tank and small tank and nothing changes the tail biting lol. He's just a stubborn guy.