Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-17-2012, 05:49 PM   #31 
LebronTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaz View Post
Oh I see. That is kinda cool when you say it that way. That doesn't sound too hard. Now how often should I do a water change? I have heard twice a week one 50% and then 100% water change. Would you say that is correct?

I have a 2.5 gal tank with a filter that houses a betta, snail and two live plants.

Hehe Why thank you. :) As Laynis said, doing a 100% change will wipe out all your bacteria. D: So, you might as well do 2 50% changes per week until your cycle finishes which is about a month.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:54 PM   #32 
RedRaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by laynisample View Post
It really does! I've been here about a week and I've learned more than I ever thought I could about the fish and already have two..
Yes that is so true! I have been here about the same amount of time. That is awesome! Yay! Congrats! I know how you feel. I just bought a 10 gal tank and was thinking of dividing it and housing two bettas. I think though that I will just move Raz into it with Thor. Moving from a betta condo to a spacious house. LOL! I'm so excited for him.
RedRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:01 PM   #33 
RedRaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
Hehe Why thank you. :) As Laynis said, doing a 100% change will wipe out all your bacteria. D: So, you might as well do 2 50% changes per week until your cycle finishes which is about a month.
Okay that sounds perfect. *squeeeee* I'm excited! Once I get that down then my next project is the 10 gal tank I just bought. I know that it will be challenging to cycle my new 10 gal tank. I want to move Raz and Thor into it once I have cycled it. I have bookmarked a ton of sites about doing a fishless cycle. *fingers crossed* That is doesn't take forever. I have heard a lot of horror stories.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:01 PM   #34 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Raz and Thor will love that and a 10 gallon is easier to cycle as well so you all win...yeaaaaa !!!! I think I am going to try and find a bigger size type snail I really want one but dont want Perseus to make a snack out if...yikes !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:06 PM   #35 
RedRaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseusmom View Post
Raz and Thor will love that and a 10 gallon is easier to cycle as well so you all win...yeaaaaa !!!! I think I am going to try and find a bigger size type snail I really want one but dont want Perseus to make a snack out if...yikes !
Yay! I think they will to. I'm very excited about it. That is good news about it being easier to cycle. I'm a little less scared, lol! Oh that sounds like a great idea. Which snail would you get? Perseus has a taste for the snails, huh. lol!
Old 09-17-2012, 06:20 PM   #36 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Yeah I know how you feel I was scared too of the cycle but I finally got my 5 gallon cycled half a month ago, and dont worry will help you every step of the way. Do you have the testing kit yet ? If not the API Master Freshwater Kit is the best and Amazon has the cheapest prices on them if you can order on line.

Not sure yet about which type to get, maybe one like yours if I can find like a bigger one maybe. Yep I had some pond snails on some live plants I put in the tank and I think they are finally all gone from the tank but one of the last ones I saw in there he ate, not the shell though which I was worried about but found it on top of one of the moss balls. I looked over and he was chewing and chewing and he spit it out only to get it again and chew some more...oh goodness he is a little clown..lol
Old 09-17-2012, 06:31 PM   #37 
RedRaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseusmom View Post
Yeah I know how you feel I was scared too of the cycle but I finally got my 5 gallon cycled half a month ago, and dont worry will help you every step of the way. Do you have the testing kit yet ? If not the API Master Freshwater Kit is the best and Amazon has the cheapest prices on them if you can order on line.

Not sure yet about which type to get, maybe one like yours if I can find like a bigger one maybe. Yep I had some pond snails on some live plants I put in the tank and I think they are finally all gone from the tank but one of the last ones I saw in there he ate, not the shell though which I was worried about but found it on top of one of the moss balls. I looked over and he was chewing and chewing and he spit it out only to get it again and chew some more...oh goodness he is a little clown..lol
Awww Thanks! I'm sure I will have a few thousand questions. Yes I actually just got that test kit. Since I had the test strips before which just didn't seem accurate.

I bought my snail at Petco but he was the biggest one there. All the rest were small. Maybe online if you can't find one in the pet stores. Perseus is a funny one! lol! That is a way to keep the snail population down. Good thing he spit out the shell.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:23 AM   #38 
Pilot00

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaz View Post
Okay that sounds perfect. *squeeeee* I'm excited! Once I get that down then my next project is the 10 gal tank I just bought. I know that it will be challenging to cycle my new 10 gal tank. I want to move Raz and Thor into it once I have cycled it. I have bookmarked a ton of sites about doing a fishless cycle. *fingers crossed* That is doesn't take forever. I have heard a lot of horror stories.

Most horror stories you hear come from fish in cycles. Fishless are the safe and easy route. There wont be anything to die in there. The safest thing to do is to let the tank cycle for about six weeks and change some of the water now and then. For more info look at the stickies.
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:29 AM   #39 
RedRaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot00 View Post
Most horror stories you hear come from fish in cycles. Fishless are the safe and easy route. There wont be anything to die in there. The safest thing to do is to let the tank cycle for about six weeks and change some of the water now and then. For more info look at the stickies.
Yes I agree with you on that. Fishless cycle seems the way to go. I'm planing on setting up my tank this weekend to start cycling it. I'm not sure I will move Raz into that tank though anymore. I have to get him to eat in this current tank first. Perhaps I will divide that 10 gal and adopt two more bettas. I haven't quite decided yet and from the looks of how long cycling takes I have a few weeks.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:24 AM   #40 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Perseus did much better then me during his fish in cycle...lol I used Prime conditioner and it detoxifies anything for 48 hours plus I uses the API Master Kit and checked levels everyday sometimes twice a day, keep up with water changes without having to take him out of the tank. I was worried though the entire time and Perseus was like oh no big deal bring on the water changes mom I love them..lol And he does he loved when I would pour the water in he would get right under it so he could swirl around and around...lololol He also loves to follow the gravel vac around so I had to be extra careful and keep an eye on where he was when I used it and still do . I would not do another fish in cycle though just cause of I would be worried the entire time and also I had a big power outage during it that really messed things up and it was like I had to start over and so did the cycle.

So that being said no horror story but yeah do a fishless cycle..lol How is Raz has he eaten yet ?