Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-14-2012, 02:51 PM   #1 
labloverl

Please tell me it has cycled.

I've been cycling my 5 gallon (hope to divide it) using a fishless method with fish food. These are the ammonia and nitrite readings today. I tested the nitrate the day before and it was 5-10. Please tell me it is cycled, or at least at the very end. The tank is so nasty looking and it's all I can do to NOT vacuum it out. Even the filter is nasty. I know to wait a few days after it has cycled to be sure though. So when I do get to clean it out, do I just change 80% of the water and try to vacuum as much out as I can. How do I do it without disturbing everything too much. (In one of the stickies, it says to vacuum without moving anything.) But there's fish food and and other "dirt" in the gravel. Do I swish the filter cartridge (internal filter) in the old water, or leave it alone for another week or so? Also, I've got gravel in a net and in a cup that was from my cycled 10 gallon. I want it back in there so when do I take it out. Plus one or 2 plastic plants that came from the 10 gallon as well.

The readings below were from 2 days ago

Last edited by labloverl; 09-14-2012 at 02:54 PM.
labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:12 PM   #2 
registereduser

yeah baby!
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:16 PM   #3 
registereduser

I would vacuum the gravel to get out most of the dirt, "wash" the filter pad out in the dirty water and replace it. Then add new conditioned water. Repeat the vacuuming process if you want, the BB is mostly in the filter media.

I usually rinse decorations out in conditioned water and replace after the new water has settled and cleared after turning the filter back on.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:30 PM   #4 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Yeaaaa its cycled !!!! Just keeping checking the levels each day to make sure they are staying stable. I did a fish in cycle so I let somebody else answer your other questions since I am not sure. Its such a great feeling when your tank finally finishes cycling !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:57 PM   #5 
labloverl

OH I'm so relieved to here this! Now I can relax! So how many days should I wait before doing all of the cleaning. Also, the food at the bottom of the tank turns green and fuzzy within a day. (It's also kinda green and brown colored food) I've only been feeding the tank about every other day or so since the food stays at the bottom of the tank for a day or so before decomposing.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:56 PM   #6 
registereduser

do it now
Old 09-15-2012, 08:44 AM   #7 
labloverl

Well I was hoping to wait a few days just to be sure. ;)
Old 09-16-2012, 10:03 AM   #8 
Hallyx
Reference Team

I'm with User. Get that gunk out of there. It's the filter that's important. You'll want to get another ammonia source in there pretty quickly, like a few days...preferably a swimming kind.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:51 AM   #9 
labloverl

Really! I never thought the day would come when I could finally clean it out lol. I tested ammonia and nitrite yesterday, and still perfectly 0. Would I still swish the filter cartridge in the old water?

Hallyx, what do you think about the info I read about not disturbing anything while vacuuming?
Old 09-16-2012, 11:14 AM   #10 
labloverl

Oh also, can it wait one more day? I'm completely tied up with the fish in my 10 gallon with a parasite problem, plus I have tests to study for.