Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-14-2012, 09:13 PM   #1 
LadyDayne

Talking First time Betta owner

I've been wanting a Betta for a long time and finally did it today. I was looking at the bettas at Petsmart and they had one that was just tiny, like a guppy. Her label says shes a crown tail female. All the others (at least two dozen) were much bigger than she is. I still need to give her a name.

Shes still in her small cup with blue water. I've got her new tank all set up but I'm not going to put her into it until tomorrow. I'll get a picture of her after shes in her new home. It's just a small 1 gal tank for now, shes so small I don't think she needs bigger? At least for a month or two. I read a bunch of stuff about bettas on the internet over the past week so I feel a little more prepared than my usual for starting with a new type of pet. (lets not discuss iguanas... or hermit crabs...)

Anyway shes very tiny and shimmering with green and blue all over her body.
LadyDayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:25 PM   #2 
lillyandquigly

Ok, first of all, I just have to say good job for researching before you went out and bought one! Second of all, most likely because she/he is so tiny it's a baby, so you probably won't be able to tell if it's a boy or girl for a long time. She/he sounds very very pretty:D Is the coloring very light shimmers? Also, is the tank your going to put it in heated? ARe you going to upgrade to a bigger tank as it gets bigger? Make sure you change the water more often then you would with an adult betta, babies are more sensitive to water then adults, :D Good luck, LaQ
lillyandquigly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:51 PM   #3 
Bettanewbie60

Hi, and welcome to the forum, congrats on your new girl!
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:13 PM   #4 
laynisample

Hey! Welcome to the forum! I'm a new betta owner as well and already own two bettas and two other fish... Oopsie. ;) The people here is nice and I look forward to seeing you around!
laynisample is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:52 AM   #5 
RedRaz

Welcome to the forum! I'm also a new betta mommy and new to this forum so nice to see a fellow newbie. ;) She sounds lovely btw and the right name will just come to you I'm sure. Congrats on your new baby. :)
RedRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:10 PM   #6 
LadyDayne

Thanks for welcoming me! :) Alright so I couldn't wait and took some pictures of her in her nasty blue water. I put some of her new water into her blue water to help her get used to what shes about to go into later on today. Now lets see if I can figure out how to upload...
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2012, 03:21 PM   #7 
LadyDayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillyandquigly View Post
Ok, first of all, I just have to say good job for researching before you went out and bought one! Second of all, most likely because she/he is so tiny it's a baby, so you probably won't be able to tell if it's a boy or girl for a long time. She/he sounds very very pretty:D Is the coloring very light shimmers? Also, is the tank your going to put it in heated? ARe you going to upgrade to a bigger tank as it gets bigger? Make sure you change the water more often then you would with an adult betta, babies are more sensitive to water then adults, :D Good luck, LaQ
Thank you! I only say girl because that is what her tag said, but ya never know. :) I can't tell if shes really shimmering or just reflections from the dirty water/plastic cup. Later today she'll be in clean water and I'll get some better pictures of her. Her tank won't be heated as it stays very hot in my house. When I got up at 4am this morning for work it was 86 degrees inside my house, the coldest it gets at night in here is about mid 70's. (I live in California) And yeah I plan to upgrade to a 5 gallon tank. I had the 5 gallon tank in my cart yesterday, it was on sale for $9.99, but then when I spotted the tiny betta I nabbed the smaller tank for now and will go back and get the big one in a month or so.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:25 PM   #8 
lillyandquigly

Ok, good. Also, withbaby bettas pestores do generally label them as females. So is she about an inch long? If so she is definitely a female, or is she smaller? Also once again thankyou for valueing this beautiful girl's life and taking her into your care!
lillyandquigly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:17 PM   #9 
LadyDayne

Yes she is just about exactly one inch long actually! :) Shes in her new tank now and I have a live plant in there for her. She loves it, pretty much just hanging out in and around it. The batteries are almost dead in my camera so everything is blurry that I'm getting now. Tomorrow I'll get some better pictures.
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2012, 09:14 PM   #10 
MoonShadow

Welcome to the forum! Your little one is absolutely adorable!! I just want to point out that regardless of the temperature in your house it's still highly recommended that you get a heater. The heater will keep the tank at a constant temperature, which is much healthier for the betta! If there is no heater the temperature in the tank will fluctuate a lot which is very stressful especially for a betta so young, and can lead to other problems!!

If you ever have any questions at all please feel free to pm me!
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote