Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-14-2012, 10:04 PM   #1 
maycausedeath

Excess slime coat?

While getting ready to put in the new plants I just posted about I noticed what looks like tiny clear extensions of my betta's fins. It only goes on a tiny bit, except for one which looks a little bit like a string. His fins also look less nice than normal? I'm not really sure how to describe it. I also noticed he's been lethargic lately and sometime it looks like he's having trouble swimming, but I thought he might just be getting old.

I was wondering if it might just be excess slime coat, but with the other symptoms I don't know. I was just about to do a water change and add plants and well as fertilizer, but I held off because I didn't want to stress him. Does anyone have idea what it could be?

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 g
What temperature is your tank? 82 F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes, an HOB
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 pellet in the morning and night, although I fasted him today because he looked bloated. Over the past year he's been having more and more trouble with bloating.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every week or so. I have both rooted and floating live plants.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
no

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Clear tiny extensions or strings coming from his fins
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Lethargic and slight trouble swimming
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Yesterday
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no
Does your fish have any history of being ill? He came from petsmart and was in pretty crappy condition when I got him. He had another scare a few months ago, but bounced back.
How old is your fish (approximately)? ~2 years

edit: my plants have been dying off suddenly could an ammonia spike have caused this?
maycausedeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:23 AM   #2 
maycausedeath

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I know this isn't an emergency, but I'm not sure if I should feed him this morning because he looks really bloated or if I can do a water change and add his plants.

Last edited by maycausedeath; 09-15-2012 at 09:25 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 09-15-2012, 10:54 AM   #3 
maycausedeath

I'm now less worried about the clear things, I think they might just be fin regrowth. His bloating seems to be worse and he is having a bit of trouble swimming.

You can see his bloat and the clear things in this picture