Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-03-2012, 10:39 AM   #31 
thekoimaiden
Reference Team

Three schools in the middle is going to look rather cramped, even in a 36 inch tank. And six is the minimum for those tetra. Some people even have nipping problems with just six. I like to do schools of 10 or more tetra, so even if I lose a few to disease or stress I will still have more than the minimum number. Plus, schooling fish look so much more impressive when maintained in large numbers. So let your friend choose two of those schooling fish and increase their numbers and then drop the third school.

You are right that the honey gourami is a good fit for the tank. They are very peaceful and will enjoy the calm company of tetra and rasbora. We also have a profile for them here: Honey Gourami (Trichogaster chuna) TFK Profile
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:29 PM   #32 
MaisyDawgThirteen

So, the school of 8 platies, 10 tetra, and a honey gourami would be good? I am going to deliver the platies right now. :)
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:29 PM   #33 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Could you do more than 10 tetra? And would a betta also be a good option in the centerpiece slot?
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:25 PM   #34 
thekoimaiden
Reference Team

You can certainly do more than 10 tetra. Less than 20, but any number in between that should be fine.

If you have the gourami, you shouldn't get the betta. The two are close enough in relation that they will compete for territory and be aggressive. But a single plakat or female betta could also be a centerpiece fish. I don't think a long-finned male would do well in a tank of that size.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote