Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-16-2012, 01:25 AM   #1 
cpaananen

Question just a silly question..

I'm sure this is just a silly question for most people, but do betta fish bite humans? I mean, they can be aggressive or feisty but would they bite me? I have to stick my hand in the tank real quick sometimes and I'm always a little scared cause they've gotta have sharp teeth in there somewhere! I'm just curious lol :)
cpaananen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:14 AM   #2 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaananen View Post
I'm sure this is just a silly question for most people, but do betta fish bite humans? I mean, they can be aggressive or feisty but would they bite me? I have to stick my hand in the tank real quick sometimes and I'm always a little scared cause they've gotta have sharp teeth in there somewhere! I'm just curious lol :)
I put my hands in my tanks all the time...they usually just move out of the way..but I'm sure if they nipped it wouldn't hurt..their mouths are very small.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:07 AM   #3 
Hallyx
Reference Team

They have been known to bite. But it's really just a tickle to most people. The have hard bony ridges in their jaws, but not teeth like we have.

Picture by inareverie:
Attached Images

Last edited by Hallyx; 09-16-2012 at 04:09 AM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:48 AM   #4 
toad

My bettas have never bitten or nibbled me, but my female molly will nibble my fingers; it doesn't hurt, it just kind of tickles.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:38 AM   #5 
cpaananen

I'm just curious because my betta, MJ will swim over to my finger right away if I put it in the tank and he stares at it just like he does his food lol.. and then if I hold my hand above his tank he's actually jumped out of the water at me s few times. Is he just extra aggressive or something? This is my first time owning a betta and I've had him for about a month, but u didn't know they could jump like that.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:06 AM   #6 
SpookyTooth

Kaze (my betta) jumps at my fingers when he sees them as it means he's getting food, I don't think there's anything aggressive there at all; I believe it to be a case of biting the fingers that feed you because you think there might be a pellet on the end of them.

He has and does bite me from time to time, usually if my fingers are hovering over him when he chooses to jump but it doesn't hurt, it tickles. It can take you by surprise but really they can't do any damage. I keep herbivorous insects that can do more physical damage to my fingers than my betta ever could.

I do not believe it to be an indication of aggression but rather excitement or anticipation, Kaze is a little softie and wouldn't hurt a fly (though he'd probably eat a dead one if it got into his tank).

And don't worry, no question is ever silly! It's good to ask otherwise we'd never know anything
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:23 AM   #7 
cpaananen

ohh I see! thank you all very much :) I'm still somewhat nervous just because I've been bitten by a fish before, but this was a big walleye lol so I'm sure my betta will be much less painful, but it still scares me a little! :p
Old 09-16-2012, 09:26 AM   #8 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Lol, I love making mine bite. Some of them are pretty passionate and try to rip me up, doesn't work.. :)
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:35 AM   #9 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Love them Walleyes. Killer Perch. Wolves of the Great Lakes and smaller lakes.
If I had a 20 acre pond.......
Attached Images

Last edited by Hallyx; 09-16-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:40 AM   #10 
cpaananen

yes I'm in Wisconsin, born in Upper Michigan so we go out on the lakes quite a bit.. I actually have another question now.. Would my betta jump out of his tank?? cause every time I feed him he's jumping at my fingers.. I just don't want him to jump completely out..