Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-15-2012, 07:18 AM   #1 
JessSH

Exclamation Help! Betta severely bloated in less than 12 hrs!

Tonight, I went to feed my girls & Siren went from being perfectly normal this morning to very bloated & I am so terrified she'll die. Bloating is her only physical problem, otherwise she looks totally normal. No pineconing, lesions or fin fraying. She's normally very active, friendly, races over to me as soon as I lift the lid & if I don't feed her fast enough or don't pay attention to her she'll start half jumping out of the water until I focus on her (total mooch). Tonight, when I lifted the lid she never came over. She swam around much slower than her normal, but at the same speed my others do. Then she went in her cave & stayed there for a couple mins. I dropped in 1 pellet right by her when she came to the top just to see if she had an appetite & she showed no interest. These are my 1st girls & I've only had them a couple months, so I'm not sure if she's possibly bloated a normal amount because of eggs or if she's egg bound or what. Because of her coloring, it's normally very difficult to see her ovipositor, but tonight it was sticking out a bit & was very obvious. I don't know if it's just because of the bloat or if it's a sign that she is full of eggs.

I'm dealing with a TB outbreak right now & I'm really heartbroken over it. I have 1 other fish besides the original carrier that have it & I believe a 3rd (my 1st ever fish) is starting to show signs. I know all 5 of my males were exposed to it because I used to do water changes with several tanks at once, but I was hoping my 2 girls would escape it because they're in a divided 10 gal & on a different schedule than the boys. I know the chances are super slim, but I really needed to cling to that hope because right now it's just too devastating to think I'll lose all my little ones. Her symptoms aren't following the pattern at all that I'm see with my TB infected boys. Is there something else that could be wrong with Siren & what can I do to fix her? I have both types of salt & Kanaplex on hand, but I can buy anything else needed. Sorry, the pic isn't the best, she just wasn't having it & wanted to be in her cave.

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gal divided
What temperature is your tank? 78-80
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 1 other healthy female

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 pellets twice a day, live bloodworms on Sat PM in place of pellets, fast Sun

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25-50 depending on how badly I screw up gravel vacuuming :)
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? SeaChem Prime & last Sat used 14 drops of AlgaeFix for the 1st time

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5
pH: 7.6
Hardness: Didn't test
Alkalinity: Didn't test

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Within the last 12 hrs
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Swims slower, wouldn't eat, not acting like a total mooch, she acted like she wanted to be left alone
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About an hr ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Not yet
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? maybe 6 months? Not fully grown
Attached Images

JessSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:47 AM   #2 
Kenny G

Try treating her and hope for the best. I just went through the same thing with my betta Blue Jay. I hope your outcome turns out better than mine.

Please keep us updated.

Best Wishes
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:31 PM   #3 
JessSH

Thanks. I think it's unrealistic with what's going on, but I will do everything I can & pray it's just eggs...
JessSH is offline   Reply With Quote