Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-15-2012, 12:58 PM   #1 
kellyyoungmoney

cant make a decision.

i want to do a 5gal planted tank for my PK Pogo. And i cant decide whether i want to jump on this petco 50% off coupon or just wait and get another tank i like from petsmart.
Here are my 2 options:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...26amp%3B+Bowls

i like the extra space, but it'll be more expensive.

http://www.petco.com/product/10313/A...arium-Kit.aspx

i know a lot of people have the minibow and ive heard lots of good things about it, but i would have to buy it today.

so will someone please help me make this decision?
kellyyoungmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:11 PM   #2 
RandyTheBettaFish

I'd get the 5.5 gal, but thats just me!
RandyTheBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:34 PM   #3 
happypappy

i have 2 of the minibow 2.3 gal. The only issue i have had is that the filter ripped my bettas tail so badly that he eventually died ==== and that the light sits above the filter medium and certainly grows alot of algae. But for short tailed bettas or if you cover the filter i really like these. the other tank i like is the tetra 3 gallon with the led light. the issue with this is that the filter is much too strong for a betta and I replaced with a tetra 10i. And the last issue is the openings in the cover are bit enough for a jumper to escape ---- fortunately that has not happened to me. also if you buy the aqueon look for the divided tank --- same exact tank but costs less and the divider does not have to go in the tank. good shopping!
happypappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:27 PM   #4 
MSG

Go with the glass one. Can't stand acrylic.

I saw a 15G Success Kit for $37 Friday. Comes with heater, filter, hood & about a month's supply of water conditioner. It doesn't come with the best equipment, it's rather basic stuff, but it's BETTER than nothing.

• If you see this in your store, grab it, but pretty sure they're all gone by now. Also this store is in my state & marked down by the manager, they may not have the same deal in your neck of the woods. If you're not sure, call your store and have them check their inventory & the price.

I dislike any of the smaller bow style 2.5G tanks.

• If I was to recommend to a friend, I would suggest the 5G standard size tanks & up that are CONSTRUCTED with GLASS vs plastic.
  • BTW, the coupon is a surprise, you MAY get 20% up to 50% off.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:33 PM   #5 
megaredize

ya i havent heard anything good about the filter on those bow tanks and i dont know if you can take out the filter it comes with. i would buy the classic glass tank.
megaredize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:54 PM   #6 
FlipShady 23

Sorry I don't know if I'm too late to comment but I have that exact 5.5gallon starter tank at Petsmart. It's glass which doesn't scratch like acrylic and was constructed well with no leaks. The hood is high quality and has a door in the front to lift and feed your fish. I replaced the incandescent bulb with those CFL bulbs they sell, all is good. One negative I have is the filter.

The filter that comes with it stinks since the water flow is non-adjustable and was too much for Rumble. I baffled it with the plastic water bottle trick and was able to slow down the pressure. However, the water bottle that I cut out had sharp edges and I wasn't too crazy about the look. I ended up replacing the filter with the Marina Slim S10 filter, which is sooo much better since you can adjust the water flow. Hope this helps!
FlipShady 23 is offline   Reply With Quote