Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-09-2012, 09:55 AM   #1 
914joe

Aquarium salt ?

when using it to treat fish for fin rot should i use 1 tsb per gallon,also do i need to leave the salt in for 24 hours and then do a full water change with new salt added.
914joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:14 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

If he has true rot that needs treated-I would QT and premix the treatment water to use for water changes-this give you more control to provide a therapeutic dose.
If it minor rot or fin damage-clean water treatment might be all that is needed....
With that said-first you have to figure out the cause-unless that is fixed-you can have an on-going problem.

We need more information-tank size, how much and how often are the water changes, water temp, filter, live plants, tank mates, appetite, additives used, how long you have had him, his tail type and any past health issues...

Also, can you post a pic...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:33 AM   #3 
914joe

I just transferred him to a 1 gallon bowl ,i have 1/2 a teaspoon of aquarium salt dissolved in a separate container,should i add another 1/2 tsp and add a liitlte to the bowl gradually over time .
Old 09-09-2012, 10:35 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
We need more information-tank size, how much and how often are the water changes, water temp, filter, live plants, tank mates, appetite, additives used, how long you have had him, his tail type and any past health issues...

Also, can you post a pic...
It is hard to give treatment advice without more information.....
Old 09-09-2012, 10:48 AM   #5 
914joe

Sorry here is a pic,i i have kept him in a 2 gallon jug for now while the bigger tank cycles, and have been doing full water changes twice a week ,but this is after i noticed he was not well, i was doing it about once a week before that.I am worried that doing daily full water changes might stress him out and make him worse,i was using prime but i have switched to API Stress coat + for now to see if that will help .
Attached Images

Old 09-09-2012, 11:03 AM   #6 
914joe

Are indian almonld leaves only available on ebay.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:24 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Hard to tell much by the pic...how long have you had him...any behavior changes or other S/S...like...more lethargic, hiding, clamp fins, flashing, stop eating...etc.....

What is the water temp, filter or water movement before you moved him to QT, how is his appetite and type/amount food/feeding, any live plants, what treatment if any have you already tried....

IMO/E-with an already compromised Betta-100% water changes should be avoided-less stress the better.

IAL-usually the only place you can get it is online.

Do you have any Oak trees-if so-collect naturally dried and fallen from the tree-add one to his QT and add about 20 crushed to a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water to use for 50% daily to every other day water changes.
Old 09-09-2012, 03:49 PM   #8 
914joe

I will try to take a better pic with my camera ,that pic was with a phone.I feed him a 4 to 5 pellets a twice a day ,they are hikari betta bio gold they are very small compared to other pellets i have seen,i also feed him freeze dried blood worms once a week .The only thing i can think of that caused it is about 3 weeks ago i had no ac and it got hot here and his water temp went up in the high 80's for a few days ,i do not have a filter where i have him now, he will be going into a filtered tank soon ,it has been cycling for about 3 weeks now.I called all my local fish stores no one has the leaves i will be ordering them today from ebay.I have had him for about a month now ,i have not tried any treatment up until now,this is the first time ,i did as you said i added 1 tsp to AQ salt and fully dissolved it in treated water and added it to his bowl a little at a time.He seems to be fine although his fins look frayed, he acts and eats just fine he does not act sick just does not look so great .Thank you so much for your help i really appreciate it.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:41 PM   #9 
914joe

I really wanted to try Oak leaves as i am in the north east there are plenty,but i know for a fact that my area has been getting sprayed with pesticides for mosquito's,i wonder if rinsing them would make them okay to use.Anyway for now to be on the safe side i purchased 20 grade A IAL from ebay ,should be here soon i hope.

Last edited by 914joe; 09-09-2012 at 11:44 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:19 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Personally, I wouldn't use leave that had been sprayed with any pesticides-even if rinsed well....not worth the risk....